+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Gale GS401 Re-foam Project

MartinT Guest

Default Gale GS401 Re-foam Project

I am now the very pleased owner of a pair of classic Gale GS401 speakers in wood finish. I bought them on eBay as 'for parts or not working' for the princely sum of £38.69. I intend to fully refurbish them by re-foaming the four woofers, checking/testing the other drivers (the tweeters have the correct resistance across them and the domes are intact), and rebuilding the crossovers. I'll give the baffles a lick of paint and do what I can to restore the wood finish to its former glory (although I'm no woodworker).

I'll report back occasionally on progress. The re-foam kit is on order from here.

First question: does anyone have a circuit diagram and/or parts description for the crossovers?

Last edited by MartinT; 27-09-2013 at 19:39.

MartinT Guest

Interestingly, mine are made in the USA which makes them relatively rare and late models.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Nice one Martin - I reckon they will be well worth the effort.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm James.

Lovely jubbly

Everything you need to know: http://0339436.netsolhost.com/WordPress/gs401-speaker/

Another well documented refurb: http://www.funkygibbins.me.uk/?page_id=5306

I'm RichardbutpreferRich.

They look interesting Martin. Given their vintage I expect the veneer on the cabinets will be of a reasonable thickness and with a bit of effort should come up nicely, should be great project
    Rich

Source: Squeezebox Touch, Chinese AK4396 DAC, Pioneer PL-112D + Shure M75ED type2, Pioneer PD-7700 CDP
    Amp: Sansui AU-505
    Speakers: Ditton 44's

MartinT Guest

Thanks for the crossover circuit and links, James

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mothman View Post
    Given their vintage I expect the veneer on the cabinets will be of a reasonable thickness
    The veneer's good, Rich, except for the bottom-left corner on the r/h speaker in the photo. I'll take some advice from a woodworker friend on how to repair that, or else just disguise it.

I'm Geoff.

Don't forget to check that the crossover values shown are for that issue of the speaker. i.e., take into account any model/component variations.

Also, the HF2000 tweeters are missing their perforated dome covers. They do come up for sale second hand now and then and I believe they can still be sourced new (LS3/5a uses them too).

If you choose to use contact adhesive for the bass surrounds let me know, I can provide something ideally suited.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

MartinT Guest

Thanks Geoff, I'll be careful to check. I haven't opened them up yet but it looks like my crossovers may be point-to-point rather than the UK made PCBs. Do the HF2000 tweeters need their dome covers for sound quality or just to protect them?

The correct adhesive comes with the re-foam kit, as do all the magnetic gap shims etc. I've done a re-foam before with JBL bass drivers.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Do the HF2000 tweeters need their dome covers for sound quality or just to protect them?
    Both!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast