+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PSU for Mini-T Amp using Paul Hynes Regulator

MartinT Guest

One observation so far: I've been running the levels up to as high a volume as I'll ever go and the PSU case is just not getting hot. So for any potential builders out there, the die cast case itself is probably sufficient heatsinking. I shall mount my heatsink anyway, since the damn thing is on order and I may as well finish the project as intended. I'll take a photo of the completed PSU then.

Meanwhile, latest system shot (with Sadé's Cherry Pie playing...)

I'm Jerry.

That's a lovely photo Martin. You must have a good camera.
    If it's not rude to ask, what did the PS cost to build?
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

MartinT Guest

I'll leave you to ask Paul Hynes about the PR3iEHD module as I don't want to trample on his pricing.

The transformer, case, heatsink and other bits amounted to about £60. Of course, I re-used spare cables but I'm sure many constructors will have some bits lying around.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    That's a lovely photo Martin. You must have a good camera.
    Thanks - it's a Lumix GF1.

MartinT Guest

One further mod: I replaced the 10,000uF Panasonic electrolytic capacitor (or additional energy storage, as Paul refers to it) with a 22,000uF BC cap with high ripple current rating (low ESR). I also added a snap choke to the mains power cable as the PC and ancillaries are putting out a lot of noise and hash. I'm not sure I can hear a difference at the moment, but I'll leave it for a day or so to let the cap fully form.

I'm still waiting for the heatsink to arrive, but the PSU really doesn't need it at the volumes I'm using.

I'm fuckoff.

Cool project dude!

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    One further mod: I replaced the 10,000uF Panasonic electrolytic capacitor (or additional energy storage, as Paul refers to it) with a 22,000uF BC cap with high ripple current rating (low ESR). I also added a snap choke to the mains power cable as the PC and ancillaries are putting out a lot of noise and hash. I'm not sure I can hear a difference at the moment, but I'll leave it for a day or so to let the cap fully form.

I'm still waiting for the heatsink to arrive, but the PSU really doesn't need it at the volumes I'm using.

Looks good.

I cant see an earth wire grounding the metal case, worth fitting if you have not done that yet.

Also some brown, blue and earth heatshrink on the incoming mains cable near the terminal block to finish it off nicely as at the moment they all look to be clear Teflon tubing.

MartinT Guest

There is an earth wire, Mark: the twisted green coming from mains earth going to one of the heatsink mounting bolts.

I take on board the mains sleeving, I only have black sleeving but I triple-checked the cores before connecting them up on the terminal block!

I'm NotSoPissedOffNowCosMyHiFisUnpacked.

Good call with that smoothing cap Martin. I often use good quality 22,000uF smoothers. You cant have enough in reserve I say!
    Ian
    http://www.hifisounds.co.uk

Photo bucket - loads of mods!

SL1200- DIY PSU- DIY FET int regs-Denon DL103 by Expert Stylus Company on Isokenetic stabiliser & Sumiko HS-12 shell- Achromat - Isonoe feet, Meridian 200 Phono satge, Junson JA-88D, Audio Aero Capitole CD/ DAC, extreme modified Marantz SA7001, Squeezebox Touch modded to death!, Focal 826WSE- Kimber 8TC, Kimber and CAT5 attenuated DIY Interconnects, Kimber mains

"Leave Nothing as Standard"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12