+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stop Gap CD player

I'm Peter.

Default Stop Gap CD player

I think my CD player is going to take a long time to be fixed (see elsewhere). What's good at about £200 used ?
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.
    Powered by Custom-HiFi-Cables DC2 psus

I'm Tony.

For probably a lot less than that you could do a lot worse than a Marantz CD 52 Mk II SE.

How about less than GBP200 new!

Peter as a cheap temporary stop gap, the current basic Sony DVD players (Blue-Ray not necessary) give surprisingly adequate/good digital out to use as a Transport, providing your DAC has a good re-clocking circuit. As you have a 7510 I would imagine it would do the job. I’m sure the 7520 would do so.

If that’s not up to scratch you could then add a Behringer SRC 24/96 (with excellent re-clocking circuit) between your DVD player and DAC to give top results. And you’d have the benefit of a sample-rate-converter as a bonus – to up sample any source to 24/96 into your Stan DAC’s!

All new for less than GBP200!
    Granville

I'm Peter.

I have a Panasonic/DVD-HDD recorder for TV, maybe I should move things around so that I can put into the system. As you have pointed out I have the 7510, I could run the DVD player through the Dac, that would cost me peanuts. I reckon I could start there.
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony G View Post
    For probably a lot less than that you could do a lot worse than a Marantz CD 52 Mk II SE.
    There's a CD60 on ebay france that's currently at 2,50€ that is tempting ...

I'm Tony.

Peter, the suggestion was made in all seriousness, I know a number of people other than myself who rate this above the much vaunted CD 63 KI signature.
    I gather they are in reasonable supply on ebay UK under 50 quid - the proviso being it must be the Mk II Special Edition. I like my lightly modded one well enough to have bought a second one as a spare and it still gets almost equal play time with my much newer and more expensive Esound E5 signature.
    It may be no CDX but I think you would be pleasantly surprised and it should handily shade the SB.
    ciao,
    TG

I'm Peter.

Tony,

I did take your suggestion seriously, but I think my first port of call is to get a COAX cable to link the DVD/HDD recorder to the Beresford DAC. If I don't use this for CD playback it will still serve admirably when I watch TV. I never watch TV in real time, it's always time shifted.

I'll keep my eyes open in case CD playback via the Beresford is unsatisfactory.