+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shielding on interconnects

I'm Julian.

Default Shielding on interconnects

Having got a new rack I need to get a longer interconnect to run from my valve phono stage to hybrid amp.

What exactly do I need in terms of shielding?

Is a copper or aluminium shield adequate or do I need a braided shield aswell?
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm Alan.

If it's a full wrapped copper or aluminium foil shield that will outperform a braided shield.
    You don't need both, a braided shield gives greater flexibility to the cable.

Alan
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Andrew.

Cu or Al will work really well, the thicker the better.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Deleted.

Most 'shielded' interconnects either use a Mylar foil or a braided sheath (quite often both). In terms of reducing hum, I have found the braised shield to be, by far, the most effective (it doesn't matter what metal it is made of).
    Account Deleted

I'm Julian.

hmm - options, options again!

I note the Mark Grant cable uses a "dual layer shielding system consisting of two layers of dense coverage high purity copper braiding".

Presumably this is the best "belt and braces" approach?

I'm Brian.

The shielding in Mark Grants cables is excellent . These cables are difficult to beat at this price IMO . Some other cables which I would also consider are the NVA Soundcords and also SSC ( Super Soundcords ) which are also very good VFM and very well shielded . Lastly, the Rega Couples are also very well built with excellent Neutrik Profi RCA plugs fitted .Shielding is also very good. All IMO of course (:
    Last edited by brian2957; 31-03-2013 at 16:25.

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by julesd68 View Post
    hmm - options, options again!

I note the Mark Grant cable uses a "dual layer shielding system consisting of two layers of dense coverage high purity copper braiding".

Presumably this is the best "belt and braces" approach?
    All the cables I mentioned in your recent 'what £50 interconnect' thread offer similar levels of shielding.
    Account Deleted

I'm Julian.

I'm not a cable swapper, just want to fit and forget, so want to spend a little time making the right decision here.

I've got Cable Talk 3 speaker cable so I thought I'd look at Cable Talk interconnects. The Missing Link bought up all their remaining old stock I believe. They are offering the top of the range Reference 3 for £65 - "4 x 6n pure copper conductors wrapped in a solid 6n pure copper foil tube for a perfect 100% shield". Doesn't really mean much to me - I'm sure it isn't the latest cable "technology" but is this value for money by today's standards?

I'm Brian.

There's a lot to be said for keeping all the cables in your system from the same manufacturer Julian . I've never heard these but I doubt if cable technology has changed so much as to make these obsolete . If the plugs look decent then there shouldn't be any problem with these interconnects at this money. Got a link to these mate ?

I'm Julian.

Not just any plugs these Brian!

< The RCA connectors machined from solid billet medical grade non magnetic stainless steel with adjustable cantre pin & skirt with hard gold plating for excellent contact >

Medical grade! If they are good enough for surgeons they're good enough for me!

Here's the link - you need to scroll right down to the bottom of the page -

http://www.the-missing-link.net/ex_dem.htm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast