+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SME 3009 Series II (improved) fixed headshell

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Default SME 3009 Series II (improved) fixed headshell

SME 3009 Series II improved non-detachable headshell pickup arm

Surplus to requirement and therefore for sale, an SME 3009 Series II pickup arm with fixed headshell.

This was bought for use with a high compliance ADC cartridge (Model 25), but the arm has had very little use and has been stored in cool and dry environment.

It is an early model (s/n. 118024), built 18.01.73. As such, the armrest uses the metal “throw-over” style catch, before it was replaced by the later, inferior, all-plastic design. The arm lift lever is the original, early straight-style design with a smooth finish on the tip. The four rubber decoupling grommets of the bedplate were removed when I used the arm, but these have now been refitted.

The counterweight fitted is the 90g version (SME part: 1901) allowing cartridge masses in the range 4 – 9g to be counterbalanced. The bias weight is the standard (3g) version. The original SME cartridge mounting fixings and finger lift are included.

The signal connections uses the early 4-way Belling & Lee ‘Unitor’ plug and socket, with the arm socket having a horizontal entry. This allows the arm to be installed on turntables having a shallow plinth. The arm cable is terminated with the SME ‘long pin’ RCA phono plugs for the signal leads and spade terminations on the earth wires.

The arm is in perfect working condition and, as can be seen from the photographs, the arm is in excellent cosmetic condition.

The arm comes complete with the original polystyrene ‘nest’ and outer cardboard box, installation drilling-template, installation and setting-up instructions, alignment protractor and Allen key wrench.

I have to mention that the original four small wood screws used to fix the arm bedplate to the turntable arm board are missing (but similar screws have been substituted).

The technical specification is as follows (unless stated otherwise, all data is as quoted by SME in their literature):

Nominal length, pivot to stylus: 229.0mm
    Distance from bedplate centre to turntable centre: 217.9mm
    Overhang, when arm at centre of bedplate: 11.1mm
    Tracking adjustment: ± 12.7mm about centre of bedplate
    Arm geometry: Stevenson
    Radial null-points: 60.3mm (inner), 117.4mm (outer)

Effective mass: 9.5g
    Cartridge balance range (with supplied counterweight): 4 – 9g
    Transversal cartridge balance range: 2 – 12g
    Available tracking force: 0 – 1.5g
    Bearing friction: < 20mg, in all planes

Length of signal cable: 1.2m
    Capacitance of signal cable: 125pF (measured)
    Capacitance of arm wiring: 20pF
    Resistance of signal cable: < 0.2Ω / conductor (measured)
    Resistance of arm wiring: < 0.4Ω / conductor (measured)

Height above mounting surface: 60.3mm (min) – 79.4mm (max)
    Arm height range: 19.1mm
    Required depth below mounting surface: 47.6mm
    Clearance required for balance weight: 50.8mm

Asking £175 including secure, insured, carriage. Payment by either cheque, bank transfer or Paypal gift.
    Barry

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

That's a damned good price - good luck with the sale.. With the headshell gunk, should be perfect with many modern MM types, especially the better AT ones...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Dave.

If I'm in time, I will take that please. It's in better nick than the one I have on my TD124.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Now provisionally SOLD.

Thank you for your interest.
    Barry

I'm Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    That's a damned good price - good luck with the sale.. With the headshell gunk, should be perfect with many modern MM types, especially the better AT ones...
    Every time I see a comment like that it makes me realise how stupidly cheap I let mine go for.....and along with it went a TD 160 Mk 2 and a V15/2 for £165!!!!!
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Mike.

Arrow

No, I agree. A very good price not to be beaten.

I on the other hand will be advertising a very similar, I guess identical tonearm, in mint condition as well. Mine will be open to offers, but above £210.

Watch this space.

With regards,
    Mike

I'm Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by datawireless View Post
    No, I agree. A very good price not to be beaten.

I on the other hand will be advertising a very similar, I guess identical tonearm, in mint condition as well. Mine will be open to offers, but above £210.

Watch this space.

With regards,
    Mike
    Aghhhhhhhhh! Stop it!
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

+ Reply to Thread