+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Car Insurance

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    Market value has little to do with it.
    With my previous car, the insurers had kept the value at its price new for the first three years. When I found out and corrected it to 'market value', the premium dropped considerably. Toe-rags

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Oh yes, mileage is a factor too. I would like to be doing much less than 16k a year, but that was my price for having a better standard of living and therefore a longer commute
    Well, I'm sure that it was the right decision, mate, as I am that the commute to work will pass by quickly, comfortably, and occasionally rather entertainingly, in that Beemer of yours!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

MartinT Guest

It certainly does

I'm Martin.

Reminds me of a bloke I used to work with, passed his test age 19 and against all advice took out a £5K loan, bought a Cavalier SRi for £4K and paid over a grand to insure it third party. He had the car for 4 days before he lost control of it burning down a straight stretch and ran it into a lamppost writing it off. No car, no money and a £5K loan to pay at £100 a month for 5 years.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

MartinT Guest

I've always thought that, in addition to enforced use of the 'P' plate, beginner drivers should only be allowed to drive a low insurance group car - say 15 or under? It still won't stop them (boys, especially) acting like twits (or DLAC, as they are called), but it might prevent some of the high speed offs they are prone to.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Good lord chaps - all these fancy or almost new cars

Our family Focus is twelve years old in October, so a banger basically despite its 55K total mileage and now 6k a year. Even so, Saga wanted a small fortune last renewal time and the best deal I got was from the AA, but still around £200 IIRC and that's with 14 years NCD.

What seems to be the ages at which car insurance drops off, all else being equal?
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Hmmm, well I now have 10 years NCD, a totally clean licence (never had anything on it ever) and my insurance has just been quoted for renewal and its gone up £62.00 and we are the same age Martin . . .
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

MartinT Guest

That's hard to explain, Tim. Have you asked them why? I would be an insurance tart and take your business to whomever is cheapest.

I'm Jerry.

My renewal quote was higher but shopping around paid off. Try Aviva but register with topcashback first.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    That's hard to explain, Tim. Have you asked them why? I would be an insurance tart and take your business to whomever is cheapest.
    I intend to do exactly that and call them tomorrow Martin, it runs out end of this month - last year it was £150, its now £212. Nowt has changed at all, apart from my move which is 1 mile away and the same post code district, but anyway when I informed them of the change of address, they said the premium was exactly the same.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast