+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which mains cable first

I'm James.

Default Which mains cable first

Just upgraded my Mains block from Lidl to MCRUS block. Which piece of equipment would benefit most from a new mains cable Just got kettle leads attached to most at the moment.

I'm Adam.

Your kettle. It'll boil faster.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Dave.

I went on the assumption that the one that draws the most current will benefit the most. So for example - Power amp - Pre amp - source.

I suspect someone will disagree though...
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    My Kettle is a gas hob type so wont benefit from upgrade

I'm Alan.

Why not buy a lead and try it on items? Let your ears be the judge. I did and it made no difference on the amp. I gave up. It may transform your system

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

If the block is a linear type, with the sockets on a bus-bar system, then the source usually goes on first in the row, and power amps later. Try it and see if you can hear any difference, which when I tried it was bigger than changing one kettle lead for an expensive foo one with wanky plugs on each end which may not meet European electrical specs for all I know..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm John.

I've read somewhere that the source components should benefit the most, I've currently got my CDP and DVD fitted with Belden from MCRU. I can't say I've noticed a discernible difference TBH, perhaps a little more control to the sound.

My own logic would suggest doing the amp first, if there's any RFI/EMI getting in there it's going to get amplified. The reason I haven't done it yet is, it's hard wired so involves taking it out, case off and soldering

John

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    no, no, no

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Just upgraded my Mains block from Lidl to MCRUS block. Which piece of equipment would benefit most from a new mains cable Just got kettle leads attached to most at the moment.
    Try a better mains lead on the amp first mate, try to get one with thicker internal cable if possible, 4mm is good! 2.5mm ok, 1.5mm not good, all IMO of course!

I'm James.

To be honest I am not expecting to hear a great deal of difference with changing power leads.

Will try positioning different equipment on new mains block first and see if that makes a difference then maybe get good quality power lead and swap it with the cheap lead on each component and see if it makes a difference. By assessing each piece of equipment I can ascertain which one benefits the most.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast