+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Equipment vibration sensitivity

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Just to start would i be correct in assuming Turntable/CD/Valve Pre amp/ Valve power amp would be the order of sensitivity?

Also can anyone make suggestions for the best way to eliminate vibration of sensitive components.
    I would say that, of those you mention, the CD player is the least sensitive. However, some valves are much more microphonic than others.

When you look at the approaches taken by manufacturers there are a number of common, but disparate, themes.

There are those that seek to isolate the equipment from external vibration (as per a turntables suspension) and there are also those that claim to channel vibration away from equipment. Within those two ideologies there are also two main design approaches.The first is to use compliant mounting, springs or rubber bushings (Sorbothane); the second is rigid coupling, spikes etc.

One thing is for certain, by far the highest amplitude of vibration that any component sees is generated by ones speakers. The amount of vibration generated internally (except by speakers) is very small and if the transformer is in another box (as it is with some phono-stages and pre-amps), the level of vibration generated is practically (quite possibly literally) non-existent.

However, as I said, vibration is still evident. If one places a hand on various components in my system, whilst music is playing, significant vibration can clearly be felt on the cases.
    Account Deleted

I'm guy.

Hi,

Wouldn't the loudspeaker itself be the component most affected by vibration? (and I don't mean this in any smart arse way).

As for dealing with it: chanelling the vibrations away to ground as quickly as possible or doing away with large resonating panels (the cabinet walls) altogether seems reasonable to me.
    Could this be one of the reasons for the percieved quality of electrostatic speakers? no box to muddy the signal?

Just thinking aloud so to speak.

Guy

I'm Martin.

Would airborne vibration be eliminated by housing the whole system in some sort of floated glass booth at the back of the listening room? Sort of like the old smoked glass rack cabinets but with TT enclosed too?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12