+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Equipment vibration sensitivity

I'm James.

Default Equipment vibration sensitivity

Not sure where to put this question so thought this might be most appropriate place.

As everyone knows all equipment is sensitive to vibration and as such I was wondering which components are most sensitive to vibration which may cause degradation to the performance of that particular piece of equipment and indeed the whole system.

I am asking as I would like to isolate the most troublesome pieces of equipment first and as costs allow keep going until I have an ideal sound/vibration isolated system.

Just to start would i be correct in assuming Turntable/CD/Valve Pre amp/ Valve power amp would be the order of sensitivity?

Also can anyone make suggestions for the best way to eliminate vibration of sensitive components.

I'm Mark.

I think you have listed them in the correct order.

Getting the tt isolated will bring abut the greatest benefit imo. Good stands or a wall shelf, or even feet depending on the tt will always help.

I did improve the sound of my cdp by putting it on an isolation platform, but now I have moved the rack and speakers around it has much less effect.
    Mark

I'm Martin.

This is something I have been thinking about also. Here is a link I was reading earlier:

http://www.barrydiamentaudio.com/vibration.htm

Airborne vibration from the loudspeakers is what I am looking to tackle as I don't think I have an issue with structure borne vibration. Anyway this recommends tackling the source components first in line with your thinking.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Richard.

Is there anything to be said for the Vertex approach to this? My understanding of it is that equipment should be supported on a heavy base (granite?) by three cones, two of which provide isolation and the third is metal and is supposed to conduct vibration away from the component and dissipate it in the granite base, which is itself isolated from anything else. Needless to say the Vertex stuff is ridiculously expensive, but if the 'theory' is right it would be easy enough to find a DIY solution.

- Richard.
    Pioneer N-50; Lakewest MDAC Premium Fusion; Benchmark AHB2; Quad ESL 2805s; 2xAE subwoofers; Isotek GII Sigmas

I'm Richard.

Thanks for the link macca, that was a good read. I'm not to sure what "easter egg holders" are. Also I'm not so sure that the bycle innertube is the best idea because they always deflate over time and the thought of my wife coming in and catching me pumping up the Hi Fi will take some explaining, also, how stable would it be when you pushed a button...... so I though how about bubble wrap !! you can get some pretty big 'bubbles' in bubble wrap these days...

I'm John.

What about sorbothane. Can prove effective under equipment.

John

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Richiebuoy View Post
    I'm not to sure what "easter egg holders" are.
    I'm assuming they are like cups to keep the balls in place!

I'm Alan.

Do you play your system at LOUD levels? Pardon?

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Kimber View Post
    Is there anything to be said for the Vertex approach to this? My understanding of it is that equipment should be supported on a heavy base (granite?) by three cones, two of which provide isolation and the third is metal and is supposed to conduct vibration away from the component and dissipate it in the granite base, which is itself isolated from anything else. Needless to say the Vertex stuff is ridiculously expensive, but if the 'theory' is right it would be easy enough to find a DIY solution.

- Richard.
    Perhaps not quite so sophisticated as what you describe Richard but I have my rack placed on a substantial granite plinth resting on the floor which is 60mm thick. The rack sits on spikes and spike shoes which in turn rest directly on the granite. This is a huge improvement over having the rack resting directly on the floor.

Last edited by synsei; 23-03-2013 at 18:54.

I'm James.

Hi Macca, interesting article but it does presume that seismic vibration is primarily through the floor or ground your equipment is sitting on and i am sure the "Air suspension inner tube or Jumbo bubble wrap" may indeed work, however components are also affected by air vibration as the article suggests in all dimensions. This would suggest if an air suspension system was used your equipment it could still be affected through casework / turntable structure vibrations. In particular airborne vibration will affect valves which will cause microphonic distortion to a certain degree.

Maybe the only absolute solution would be to have your system in one room and speakers in another

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast