+ Reply to Thread

Thread: headphones and sods law

I'm guy.

Default headphones and sods law

Hi all,

recently replaced the foam pads on my ancient (35 years?) Sennheiser hd400's and the damn things have stopped working - any way, excellent service and quite possibly due for replacement.

Any recommendations for replacement?
    I have a large head, wear glasses and possibly consider comfort above absolute sound quality. The Sennheisers are a simple head band, flat foam pads (on ear, not over as this would get a bit too hot from previous experience). Mainly used plugged in to CD player or laptop, when rest of family are watching cookery competitions, dancing on ice etc.
    Not concerned with Phone use/ipod - don't like the sound.
    Here is the killer - budget ~£50, not bothered if 'phones are second hand - can always give them a clean and fit new pads.

Regards. Guy

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

A pair of secondhand Grado SR60s would fit the bill I reckon. Actually - SR80s at £55 if they're not already sold and you could stretch to them? http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24554
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm John.

The Sen HD595's can be had for a reasonable price s/h, very confortable, decent build and quite neutral sounding IMHO.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sennheiser...item2ec713d4b9

John

I'm Andrei.

Default Sennheiser 595

+ 1 on the Sennheiser 595. I don't know but suspect the Sennheiser 598s are the 'new 595s. I still have my pair that I purchased about 10,000 years ago and they still work perfectly. I have also Sennheiser 555s and 650s, two pairs of Ultrasones, AKG 701s and Bose Quiet Comfort 15. ( 7 PCs in the house!) What I like about Sennheiser in general and the 595s in particular is that they are very comfortable. If your source is good it will be a long time before you get listening fatigue.

I mention the Bose Quiet Comfort too because they are at least as comfortable as the 595s and do not give away much in sound quality. They do have one spectacular trick. They really do block out the outside noise: 95 - 99 % efficient in my estimation. I tend to go to European destinations for vacation and from New Zealand that means four long-haul flights. I can wear the Bose for about 10 of the 12 hours on those flights. I get an aisle seat, my laptop is set up for music and treat myself to a concert :->
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    A pair of secondhand Grado SR60s would fit the bill I reckon. Actually - SR80s at £55 if they're not already sold and you could stretch to them? http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24554
    many thanks for the link - I put the same request for advice up on HFS and was given the same recommendation.
    They should be in the post to me on Monday (really looking forward to getting them).

thanks again. Guy

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Excellent - hope they work out - let us know how you get on.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

+ Reply to Thread