+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony SS 7200 Speaker

I'm Simon.

Default Sony SS 7200 Speaker

I've just got my hands on a pair of these vintage speakers. I've been looking for a project for a while and these looked the business

They're a bit rough around the edges but I've hooked them up and they sound fine

My plan is to straighten out the cabinets and get them sprayed up to a (hopefully) glossy white finish.

I'm amazed at how heavy these buggers are!

I'll be needing new binding posts and I was wondering if the crossover would need replacing. I'm not sure how I'd get in there though - the back looks like it's nailed and probably glued as well.

This will be a first for me so all thoughts and comments welcome
    Simon.

I'm Kev.

Looks like you'll probably have to go in through the front, I had a similar pair in the late eighties and blew a tweeter Replacing it was pretty easy but I remember looking into the cab and I don't think the rear comes off.

If you really need it off then I would think you will have to use a router to remove the old one and replace the wood.

You have to unscrew the drivers from the front. Make sure you have a soldering iron at hand. Some drivers were soldered to the wires from the crossover, whilst others haev spade terminals.
    In most cases it is best to only replace the caps on the crossover. The inductors on older speakers tend to be of a better quality than many of the modern stuff coming out of China.

I'm Nobody.

Around 1973 that version of the Sony 'SS-7200'..
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 18-03-2013 at 18:31. Reason: Edit: Thinking of the wrong speaker!

I'm David.

Sony have and still do make some really expensive and fantastic sounding speakers, look like a bit of a bargain to me. Those terminals need to be changed though I would suggest.

I'm Andrew.

I notice that this speaker has attenuation for the tweeter and midrange. In the past, it seems, many speakers had this adjustment available. Does the L-pad ( I presume it is an L-pad) alter the clarity or sonic quality of the driver it is adjusting? Is this the reason they fell out of favour?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by RMutt View Post
    I notice that this speaker has attenuation for the tweeter and midrange. In the past, it seems, many speakers had this adjustment available. Does the L-pad ( I presume it is an L-pad) alter the clarity or sonic quality of the driver it is adjusting? Is this the reason they fell out of favour?
    This seems to vary.

I've taken the pots out of circuit on speakers and noticed an improvement in clarity and less muddle, but also had instances where no benefit was heard. It can be misleading, as bypassing the pots raises the output from the driver slightly, giving a false impression of enhanced performance.

I think they fell out of favour partly because of this perception that they are detrimental and partly due to fashion and manufacturing economies.

There are many purists who would be horrified at the thought of putting anything extra in the signal chain. But I believe there are circumstances where good quality 'L' pads can actually be very useful.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Nobody.

I personally would'nt fart about with the technical design of the speakers apart from swapping out old caps. Those Ultra Linear Magnetics (ULM) together with the paper cones were great units.

I'm Simon.

Thanks for all the tips folks - I can't wait to get started on this
    Simon.

I'm Duncan.

Hi

I had a pair of these awhile back.
    Not bad at all, responded to a capacitor change really well especially the treble.
    I didn’t bypass the Lpads as they looked and worked ok.

some info: http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-SS-7600.html

Duncan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast