+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Sony MDR-1R Headphone's Going Cheap

I'm fabulous.

Paul at Reference Fidelity Components is a gent and his work is exemplary. He got back to me and whilst he would happily produce the required cables using the very best kit, I couldn't really justify to myself paying what would amount to about half what I paid for the headphones of 'the bay'. Particularly, after last nights bottle of wine wore off <laughs>

I have however, found another source of a replacement 4 metre cable for my Sony phones. The downside is that it is black 'van damme' cable and plugs
    So my lovely Silver+Brown phones will now have a black cable when listening to the DAC. Never mind.

Just been notified that the cables in the post so will give some further feedback when it arrives in the next couple of days.
    Last edited by guyhayton; 08-04-2013 at 19:47. Reason: It wasn't clear in my original that I had actually been in touch with Paul
    lossless > Raspberry PI-3b+ > allo Boss > Van Damme Purple interconnect >
    Myryad Z210 CD Player > Chord Chameleon Silver+ interconnect >

into Magnum IA170 amplifier > Van Damme Blue 4mm cable > Mission 752 Freedom Floorstanders
    Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Open-back

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

You could have just asked Paul (Reffc) on here, as he is a regular poster and active member!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm fabulous.

Alex... I've just edited my post to clarify... I did contact and ask Paul about making up a cable, but as anyone knows who has ever dealt with Paul, he only does the best work with the best gear. Quite honestly I couldn't justify the expense (I'm just buying a house at the moment - shouldn't really of bought the phones really )

Paul was a gent as I said, and understood when I got back to him earlier today,
    Last edited by guyhayton; 08-04-2013 at 20:58.

into Magnum IA170 amplifier > Van Damme Blue 4mm cable > Mission 752 Freedom Floorstanders

I'm fabulous.

Well I wasn't expecting to be posting so soon, but great news my replacement cable arrived today (excellent service as I only contacted the supplier yesterday morning, they've specced it, made it and delivered it in 24 hours).

Here are some photos - it's a 4m long cable

Good solid connection to the earcup, it has solved the loose connection (rattle) and the clash with silver+brown is not as bad as I feared.

Excellent Neutrik gold plated connectors

Van Damme cable, nice and flexible and at four metres long has solved my "at home" listening with these new headphones.

All in all very pleased and I can highly recommend the supplier Chris Cooper at...
    Connect Audio Ltd

I have also purchased this little thingy from Amazon 3.5mm Coupler Adaptor which I am hoping will allow me to turn this 4 metre lead into an extension lead for my other headphones. It was worth a punt at £1.19 posted.
    Last edited by guyhayton; 09-04-2013 at 17:25.

I'm Nathan.

Default Still waiting...

Well I won a set of these on the bay on Sunday night, and paid for them immediately. The seller still hasn't acknowledged the payment or contacted me about postage. Its only four going on five days I know, but a quick email isnt much to ask for. Lets hope I hear from them soon.

Nathan
    DIY is fine and dandy, but just try selling it on!

Nathan.

I'm John.

I bought a pair for my 16 yr old son for his birthday last week, he's extremely pleased with them.....I took the opportunity to buy myself a pair of AKG 550s at the same time for the same money ......
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Technics 1210/Mike New Bearing/Jelco SA750d/Goldring 2500/Paul Hynes SR5 21/27.
    Cambridge Audio 840c CD. Squeezebox Touch. Synology NAS.
    Teac A-3440.
    Beresford Bushmaster.
    Quad II monoblocks....Quad 44/405.....Croft Micro.....Cambridge Audio 840.
    Celestion Ditton 66.....KEF Reference One

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by johnB View Post
    I bought a pair for my 16 yr old son for his birthday last week, he's extremely pleased with them.....I took the opportunity to buy myself a pair of AKG 550s at the same time for the same money ......
    Have you tried both of the out?? Can you give us your thoughts.

Nathan.

I'm Nathan.

Well they've arrived and they are here on my desk with their cellophane still on. Lets hope they do the business.

I'd still be interested to hear how they compare with the AKGs.

Nathan.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Nice one Nathan, be interesting to see what you think of them.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Nice one Nathan, be interesting to see what you think of them.
    Due to the lack of a 1/4 inch connector, I've had to plug them straight into my laptop.

First impressions are: they are very comfortable, and their presentation is quite dark, but after listening for only a few minutes, I am already getting used to it.

I'll get the connector at home this evening and then I will be able to plug them into my new Pro-ject Headbox DS DAC and Amplifier. I have a feeling their combo will be very good, as the Headbox is very polite and the Sonys will probably add a little syrup, which can only help.

Nathan

Nathan.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345