+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Paging the tube rolling experts!

I'm Stephen.

It's so personal taste and system dependent is it not?

In my Croft 25R I have found that a Siemens E82CC in the line stage for my Cyrus CD XT SE2 gives me the best balance of detailed airy top end, crystal clear mid range especially with female vocals and good tight bass. I was using a Tungsram BH7A which produced more powerful bass but the mid/top had a bit less air and detail.
    In contrast I find GE 5-star 5751's do the same with vinyl. What's interesting is that I also have a pair of Siemens & Halske ECC83's but these sound better in the poer section than the phono stage. All very confusing. I have now stopped tube rolling as it was making me ill - just have a few in reserve.

Steve
    Always a little further

I'm Julian.

Quote Originally Posted by worrasf View Post
    It's so personal taste and system dependent is it not?
    Absolutely 100%. I'm just trying to tune my system the way I would like ... I am sure it will also be about the combinations of the valves chosen and how they gel together ...

I have only had the original stock tubes in the phono stage so just trying to see what can be achieved. I'm not going to make it my life's work, that's for sure!
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by julesd68 View Post
    Absolutely 100%. I'm just trying to tune my system the way I would like ... I am sure it will also be about the combinations of the valves chosen and how they gel together ...

I have only had the original stock tubes in the phono stage so just trying to see what can be achieved. I'm not going to make it my life's work, that's for sure!
    If you want to try out others I have a selection of ecc83's (Mazda, Philips Miniwatt, Brimar, RCA,) ECC81's (Brimar, Telefunken) and other assorted thermionics you are welcome to borrow and try
    Steve
    Always a little further

I'm Julian.

Quote Originally Posted by worrasf View Post
    If you want to try out others I have a selection of ecc83's (Mazda, Philips Miniwatt, Brimar, RCA,) ECC81's (Brimar, Telefunken) and other assorted thermionics you are welcome to borrow and try
    Steve
    Steve that's a really kind offer indeed. I'll see how I get on with my Mullard ECC83's and then get in touch.
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm Stephen.

No worries - PM me if you do
    Steve
    Always a little further

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415