+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 'Free' smoothing chokes for preamp PSUs

I'm Alan.

Default 'Free' smoothing chokes for preamp PSUs

Suitable chokes can be a bit thin on the ground from component suppliers so I thought I would post up this little tip.
    I say free because they all come from junk or ‘boot sale price’ stuff.

All these ‘chokes’ are in fact small mains transformers, some clamp mounted, some PCB mounted. They can be found in cheap computer speakers, old linear ‘wall wart’ adapters and the like. Just think how many of theses are lurking at your nearest tip.

They are typically rated between 1.2 and 6VA, so are only suitable for small current power supply smoothing, hence the title ‘for preamp PSUs’.

The maximum current rating can be guesstimated from the VA rating. Divide VA by 240 (as in the mains supply voltage):

1.2VA 1.2/240 = 5mA
    2VA 2/240 = 8mA
    3VA 3/240 = 12mA
    4VA 4/240 = 17mA
    6VA 6/240 = 25mA

The primary winding (as in the 240V winding) is used, making sure any secondary connections are insulated.
    This picture gives an idea of the size of these ‘chokes’, note the valve in the middle.
    I have shown the VA rating, the dc resistance of the primary and the measured inductance in Henries of each one.

Cheers, Alan
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Great tip for DIY'ers.

If you can't measure the inductance, it can be calculated by measuring the off-load current drawn from the mains. Divide the mains voltage by the measured current to derive the reactance. The reactance will be largely inductive (almost totally), so divide the reactance by 314 (= 2*pi*50) to obtain the inductance.

Good one Alan.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread