+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kit order on a rack ?

I'm Dave.

IMO, you should have the large lumjps - power gen and NAP 500, on the bottom shelves. The CD player and turntable of choice, should be properly supported on top shelves, where you can get at them.

The phono stage, x'mer and pre should be away from large lumps generating lots of 'hum'.

Finally, cables should be tucked neatly out of sight..

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    IMO, you should have the large lumjps - power gen and NAP 500, on the bottom shelves. The CD player and turntable of choice, should be properly supported on top shelves, where you can get at them.

The phono stage, x'mer and pre should be away from large lumps generating lots of 'hum'.

Finally, cables should be tucked neatly out of sight..
    Just bit more width and I could put the P10 on it's own low down table.
    The plan was to have it above the 500 but the weight and the tight fit persuaded me out of that.
    Size of the kit and cable lengths dictates too many positions
    Tailor made could get around that, plus the Naim 82 and therefore HiCaps could be moved on
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMusic View Post
    Thanks Marco

Left rack from top to bottom
    Technics
    Technics PSU
    Ortofon SUT
    Naim 82
    Whest Phono Pre
    Tivo
    PSU for Naim 500

Sound bases

Right rack
    P10
    Space
    Rega Isis CDP
    2 x Naim HiCaps
    Naim 500

TV on the left
    Isobarik on the right - I do have another not in shot
    Better Mike?

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    Better Mike?
    Thanks Dave
    Well that's how it appears
    Now tell me how to make it sound better !

Seeing it now as a pic I think it looks much worse than in the flesh
    It looks stark. Think this is the flash from the camera
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

synsei Guest

I am intrigued by the grey panels adorning the darker bits of kit, what are they Mike?

Below is how my system is laid out, with the power amp well away from the main system out of shot:

Mind you, that is probably all wrong too...

I'm Mike.

I am intrigued by the grey panels adorning the darker bits of kit, what are they Mike?

Below is how my system is laid out, with the power amp well away from the main system out of shot:

Mind you, that is probably all wrong too...
    The grey panels are pieces of black card stopping the various LEDs from blinding me. I took them off for the first photos then put them back and Sally took the only photo worth using !
    Again all of this is non obvious in normal lighting being black on black
    My logic was to have the Isis on top of the right hand rack, then the P10, HiCaps and Naim 500. The P10 proved to be slightly too big and heavy for that
    The Tivo will be moved to the other side of TV
    Maybe I have to adopt the perfect 'vision' - like you're supposed to do - and work out how to achieve it.
    I would always have the sources at the very top and the big noisy kit at the bottom
    Detail though :
    What about the PSU for the Technics ?
    Is the SUT super sensitive ?
    Are those various items supplying power ok on an adjacent rack or should they - somehow - be further away ?
    What is not shown on that shot is the horribly noisy Naim NAPSC.
    That is stuck out on the other side of the RHS Isobarik

Mike

synsei Guest

Getting any power supplies as far away from your kit is always a good idea however it is not always practical. For example the PH SR3 PS for my Techie is on the shelf adjacent to the Rega DAC in my system, and there it will have to stay as there really is nowhere else to put it except on the floor. I might try that actually...

EDIT: Tried it but the lead between the PS and the Techie is way too short so it is staying where it is...
    Last edited by synsei; 15-03-2013 at 08:45.

I'm Mike.

Getting any power supplies as far away from your kit is always a good idea however it is not always practical. For example the PH SR3 PS for my Techie is on the shelf adjacent to the Rega DAC in my system, and there it will have to stay as there really is nowhere else to put it except on the floor. I might try that actually...
    You would laugh if you saw where my NAPSC is
    The cables are long so connectiing to the back of the 82, out from the left hand rack, past the back of right hand rack, past the Isobarik, it sits on the Mana Iso stand on the far right, just off the floor where it is plugged into a socket another 2-3 feet to the right.
    Sounds is even better if it is plugged into a socket in the next room, but that is a bit awkward
    I wonder where I could put my Technics PSU.......

Mike

synsei Guest

It might be an idea to put all the power oriented stuff in its own rack if poss. The Techie PS could sit on the floor behind the TV on a small granite or glass worktop saver or place mat if the cable is short, that would free up space for the Naim kit

I'm Mike.

It might be an idea to put all the power oriented stuff in its own rack if poss. The Techie PS could sit on the floor behind the TV on a small granite or glass worktop saver or place mat if the cable is short, that would free up space for the Naim kit
    The P10, Naim 500 are *big* so current rack set up is sub optimal.
    The 500 also has it's own PSU and the 2 HiCaps need to be close to the 500 due to cable length connecting them
    As the 82 could/will be replaced (and so the HiCaps) there could be a lot more flexibility to come
    For space on that wall I am full up
    I may have to go up with some lateral thinking

Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast