+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nick's System

Default Nick's System

Here are some pictures of the current incarnation in the constantly (although hopefully not so constantly) evolving system :-

First up my one and only source :-

dCS P8i SACD player

Followed by the amplifier, I only bought this as a summer time back up but it sounds so good I haven't taken it out since I got it. This will be rotated with my Melody Astro Black 22 as and when I feel like schlepping the valve beasty into place. Pictures of the Melody when it's next slotted in the rack.

Red Wine Audio Sig 30.2 SLA Battery amplifier

Finally the speakers. Two pictures in this instance to show the overall picture and the unusual finish

Zu Definition 2

The gear sits on a Finite Elemente Pagode HD rack.
    Cables are Kubala Sosna all the way through.

Cheers

Nick

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Woah! Now that's a nice finish on your Zus, was that a special order or have they been hand finished by a third party?

I heard those speakers at the Manc show, amazing with the right source.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Woah! Now that's a nice finish on your Zus, was that a special order or have they been hand finished by a third party?

I heard those speakers at the Manc show, amazing with the right source.
    Hi Rob

This was a custom finish from Zu. Looks even better in the flesh. Changes colour in the different light conditions.

They do sound great too

Were the pair in Manchester the bone coloured ones ??

Cheers

Nick

Mi dad used to be into Custom cars in the '70's he had that finish but in emerald green fleck..Look nice all the same.
    Last edited by Vinyl Grinder; 21-02-2008 at 20:04. Reason: Spelling correction

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Were the pair in Manchester the bone coloured ones ??
    They were indeed mate, and looked cracking as they were. They also had a pair that weren't d'appolito in a black gloss that looked a foot deep.

The first track I heard through them was from an LP12 () and sounded pants frankly, however once the EMM Labs CD player got up and running the speakers just came alive - talk about fulfilling, a completeness across the whole audio band and naturally musical, great for big band stuff I would think.

Atacama SE24 stands

They were indeed mate, and looked cracking as they were. They also had a pair that weren't d'appolito in a black gloss that looked a foot deep.

The first track I heard through them was from an LP12 () and sounded pants frankly, however once the EMM Labs CD player got up and running the speakers just came alive - talk about fulfilling, a completeness across the whole audio band and naturally musical, great for big band stuff I would think.
    I had the bone finished pair on dem from Simon at Musicology and I agree it is a nice finish. I'm guessing the gloss black pair would be Druids unless the cabinet was triangular in which case that would be the new Presence.

I totally agree with what you say about completeness across the audio band it's one of the things that I really liked about them. Reaping the benefit of no crossover and a single driver between about 40Hz to 12KHz. The active bass array at the back steps in below the 40Hz mark pretty seamlessly too and the tweeter is very smooth but still nicely detailed.

They work well on all types of music and are as you mentioned naturally musical and fatigue free. Can't you tell I love 'em ??

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    ...Can't you tell I love 'em ??
    Oh yes!

The others were Druids in that case, I'd forgotten they were crossoverless.

Any chance Zu would re-finish speakers from other manufacturers?

Atacama SE24 stands

Any chance Zu would re-finish speakers from other manufacturers?
    Hi Rob

I get the feeling that they have their hands full just finishing the speakers they produce !! They will, in that instance, go for pretty well anything your heart could desire.

I was reading a review of the new Presence model which is offered as standard in some funky matt finishes which are mooted to be very durable and good looking.

Best wishes

Nick

Finally got round to putting the Melody Astro Black 22 in the rack. Here as promised is a (rather poor due to the reflective finish) picture of the beast

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice amp, Nick!

What kind of valve is that in the middle? I haven't seen it before.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast