+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommended Hi-Fi VHS players for audio !

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

Default Recommended Hi-Fi VHS players for audio !

Hi all, not posted in the AV section before I don't think.... lucky you.

I'm having a clearout and realised a VHS player i found works (had assumed I'd tried it and it was broken..).

It's a Panasonic NV-F70B, has nice jog wheel, nicely made etc. Am listening to a Madonna live video (I found it too, honest! Like a Virgin going into MJ's Billy Jean and back...) on headphones without a screen connected - sounds good.

So, I'm wondering what top of the line models there are out there from yesterday that will hopefully be cheap now (so discounts anything too speciallised and collectable - saw a NV800B sell for £300 for example).

I feel there's a vast wealth of music videos and concerts out there on VHS waiting to be tapped (not taped..) for cheap. Oh, the number of tape collections I've seen thrown out on the streets and just walked past.. "Must..not..stop..and..pick..up..rubbish..."

Can anyone recommend any? Or do you think that this NV F70B is not going to be far from the best audio-wise anyway?

I'm NotSoPissedOffNowCosMyHiFisUnpacked.

Default Recommended Hi-Fi VHS players for audio !

I used to use a Philips specifically for audio. Used in "HiFi" mode it's was very good indeed. Can't remember the model number. At the time believe it or not, Nokia made TV and VCRs! Their top of the line video was also very good. I'm sure I have some hifi tapes kicking around too
    Ian
    http://www.hifisounds.co.uk

Photo bucket - loads of mods!

SL1200- DIY PSU- DIY FET int regs-Denon DL103 by Expert Stylus Company on Isokenetic stabiliser & Sumiko HS-12 shell- Achromat - Isonoe feet, Meridian 200 Phono satge, Junson JA-88D, Audio Aero Capitole CD/ DAC, extreme modified Marantz SA7001, Squeezebox Touch modded to death!, Focal 826WSE- Kimber 8TC, Kimber and CAT5 attenuated DIY Interconnects, Kimber mains

"Leave Nothing as Standard"

synsei Guest

I owned a Marantz HiFi VCR which not only sounded amazing on music play back but was built like a piece of top end hifi. Again I forget the model but being Marantz there's a good chance that it probably contained the same mech as the one in Ian's Philips.

The design aesthetic of the unit was similar to that of the equipment above although the VCR was a 1990's model. Mine was branded Granada but on the rear panel there was a Manaufactured by Marantz sticker.
    Last edited by synsei; 03-03-2013 at 07:47.

I'm Dave.

I still use a Panasonic NVHS 900 in my second back room system for music playback only.

SVHS tapes can be picked up cheap now - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FUJI-SVHS-...item20cf32610c

The sound is fantastic and it's great for parties as I can make extra long mix tapes just like when I was a teenager...
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

I'm Gary.

Gawd that takes me back

Had a Sony "hifi" VCR that sounded fab through its analogue outs into my A400 and Mission 760's!

Great wee system that was too, my Brothers got it now still doing the business.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    I owned a Marantz HiFi VCR which not only sounded amazing on music play back but was built like a piece of top end hifi. Again I forget the model but being Marantz there's a good chance that it probably contained the same mech as the one in Ian's Philips.

The design aesthetic of the unit was similar to that of the equipment above although the VCR was a 1990's model. Mine was branded Granada but on the rear panel there was a Manaufactured by Marantz sticker.
    Loving that avatar Dave!

I'm Dave.

I have a Panasonic VF-FS88HQ if that's any good for you? It is a 4 head super VHS with NICAM. Nicam is the allimportant bit for decent audio reproduction. Just in case you don't know it stands for near instantaneous companded audio multiplex. standard VHS uses a very thin strip of te slow moving tape for the audio track so standard quality is very poor. Nicam uses the helical scanning heads to use a much larger tape area and therefore a hugely improved sound quality. I would have to test it as it has not been used for a while. How does £60 plus post sound?
    Regards,
    Dave.

I'm Martin.

The old Mitsubishi Diamond series were awesome - always wanted one but they were silly money - of course I am going back almost a quarter of a century. You've piqued my interest, might have a look on eBay.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Loving that avatar Dave!
    Cheers Ali

I'm Stephen.

And get this, Nat - 370757330333. AWESOME! But that's just my opinion. The Blueray's only £10 from the US but don't know what the sound quality is like . The dvd is disappointing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast