+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Holographic speaker placement

I'm Jerry.

I have one of my speakers positioned between a wall and door opening-its only about 100mm off the wall, it's not ideal and I get bass boom. The article has made me think how I could improve things. I will try moving the speakers but wont be able to get them in the middle of the room like the article suggests.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    It would only be out of phase if it was one speaker. If both were reversed it would be fine.
    I know.........
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Stephen.

Here's the other thread, Jerry.

When I wrote to Hi Fi Answers more than three decades ago about it and then a decade later to 'World, no-one took me seriously.

What I really meant to before was that there is 4 possible listening positions depending upon your particular domestic settings. Basically, your speakers, listening position and central image point form the 4 corners of a square and you can rotate the speakers round the 4 points. You get some variations due to room boundries.

The really, really, really weird thing about it was that when listening I used to get this fluttering sensation at the back of my head. It was as if my brain was trying to lock-on to the 3-D imagery, but there wasn't quite enough data . The most weird audio experience I've ever had! I'd urge every one to give it a try. What have you got to lose?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mr Kipling; 14-03-2013 at 19:37.

I'm Jerry.

Cheers Stephen,
    Moving my speakers either side of a corner has made a significant improvement to the soundstage. The image is no longer constrained by the speakers and has a much better sense of depth.
    Not sure what the wife will say when she pops her head in though.......
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Stephen.

I used to get acres of depth with central images projected well forward. The biggest thing for me was the sound and images gave no impression of eminating from the speakers. It made more impact on me than any item of equipment I had at the time.

I'm Stephen.

Forgot to mention that at times the depth plane appeared to extend beyond the confines of my bedroom walls to outside. Quite a neat trick from just a modest pair of Castle Richmonds.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12