+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holographic speaker placement

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

Default Holographic speaker placement

I'm sure it's been talked about before but I wanted to post a link up to this AES paper about speaker placement for holographic imaging.

Sorry, that should be Phantom Source Imaging:

http://www.essex.ac.uk/csee/research...0placement.pdf

and then it's talked about in Stereophile in an Audio Physic Virgo 2 review as Joachim Gerhard, the designer of the Virgos, was involved in the research paper.

Cinerama Setup

Would love to try it out soon - needs a room re-configuration.

I'm Stephen.

I remember in the early '80s trying an unusual speaker placement in my bedroom and freaking out at hearing a palpable rock-solid central image of Gladys Knight with The Pips, 1, 2, 3, of them, in a lateral plane to the right of her with my Castle Richmonds. I'd never heard anything like it before.

I'm michael.

Backwards

Quote Originally Posted by mikeba316 View Post
    Backwards
    ?

I'm Jerry.

This looks like the proposal is to move the speakers away from the wall into the middle of the room, impractical for most people.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Craig.

Once, after I had my PMC's made into + versions, I too had an amazing holographic effect, with certain instruments seemingly coming from behind where I was sitting.

It turns out I had somehow put plus into minus on the binding posts, and experienced them " out of phase" which sadly disappeared when I sorted it!
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

I'm inthescottishmafia.

It would only be out of phase if it was one speaker. If both were reversed it would be fine.

I'm Andrew.

I followed this guide to place my speakers. It seems to be very similar. http://www.magicgardenmastering.com/SpeakerSetUp.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    This looks like the proposal is to move the speakers away from the wall into the middle of the room, impractical for most people.
    Yes.. I think other's who use the living room will have to just get used to it!

I've a T - shaped room so don't know if that effects things but might try something similar in terms of moving things away from the walls drasticly to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by RMutt View Post
    I followed this guide to place my speakers. It seems to be very similar. http://www.magicgardenmastering.com/SpeakerSetUp.pdf
    Does look like the same thing.

The Stereophile article that talks about the set up makes it sound very laborious in terms of getting it right.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast