+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mains cable for speakers

I'm Jerry.

Default Mains cable for speakers

I have noticed a few people recommend twin and earth mains cable for amp/speaker connection. Presumably the stuff for lighting is good enough.
    Anyone tried it and got any thoughts?
    Yes-I am a skinflint
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Andy.

Warm, full and quite musical, hard to dress, but for buttons pretty good, put plugs on the ends, as the bare wires are lethal to equipment and hands alike.
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Copper can be dirty and it's a pita to terminate, but can work really well if you have a freshly manufactured run.

6A twin mains cable works well in shortish runs (5m or less) and with non-foo gear the real world buys
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Jerry.

Good, I have tried a few cables recently that I don't think much of so I am going to try some mains lighting cable I have found in the garage. It's 1.0mm twin and earth 14amp. It will need a clean up first to get the cobwebs off!
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm fuckoff.

Have you tried Black Rhodium Twist?

Meant to be good bang for the buck.

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by realysm42 View Post
    Have you tried Black Rhodium Twist?

Meant to be good bang for the buck.
    Maybe after the mains cable!
    Jerry

I'm Brian.

The Twist and the Rega Quattro are both good value . What length do you need ?. I've got 2 x 2metre lengths of each which I can send to you to try out Jerry . Think I may have some NVA LS2 in longer lengths . PM me if you're interested mate.

I'm Jerry.

Thanks Brian-PM sent
    Jerry

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    Thanks Brian-PM sent
    I can highly recommend the black twist, excellent value for money and made a real difference. Speak to David at MCRU he will sort you out.
    Amplifier:
    Sony DA-2400ES
    Sources:
    Technics SL-PG490 CD Player
    Pioneer N-50 - Network Streamer
    Sony MDS-JB940 Mini Disc Player
    Sony BDP-S360 BLU RAY
    SKY HD 1tb Box
    Speakers:
    Paradigm Monitor 7 Monitors
    Paradigm Centre
    Mordaunt Short Rears
    Cables:
    Tellurium Blue speaker cables with bridges
    and terminated with Z plugs
    Black Rhodium twist.

I'm Andrew.

Yet again +1 for the twist at the price its a no brainer.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast