+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting it all back together again...

I'm Shaun.

Thanks Davros, it really is all coming together with the aid of some money I was given in response to helping someone out.

The Thorens is brilliant with the Alphason arm but I'm no longer so sure about the Denon DL160 being so wonderful. I have worked on the deck and have the suspension floating nicely even with the extra weight of the record clamp but I really am in two minds about the cartridge.

So, overall, a really good system that sounds amazing. Most of it was bought secondhand with the speakers and the cartridge being new. Maybe I could do with a much better cart...??? Any suggestions...??

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Thanks Davros, it really is all coming together with the aid of some money I was given in response to helping someone out.

The Thorens is brilliant with the Alphason arm but I'm no longer so sure about the Denon DL160 being so wonderful. I have worked on the deck and have the suspension floating nicely even with the extra weight of the record clamp but I really am in two minds about the cartridge.

So, overall, a really good system that sounds amazing. Most of it was bought secondhand with the speakers and the cartridge being new. Maybe I could do with a much better cart...??? Any suggestions...??
    If the Denons are as fussy as Marco and others say (I have no reason to doubt that, but have no actual practical experience)....perhaps the Alphason arm is to light weight to allow a Denon to shine/work properly (Marco, care to comment/help Shaun).

Perhaps a good modern MM like an Ortofon Black might be worth looking at or one of the Sumiko carts. If my memory serves me right...when working back in the trade around about the time when the Alphason arm was selling new....Audio Technica MC carts were the most common thing used( when the arm was on an Alphason TT)....however not to my taste, I always found them, bar the oc9/Art1 to be too bright and forward sounding.

Thank you once again for the Rothwell attenuators... You are very generous.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Thank you once again for the Rothwell attenuators... You are very generous.

Regards D S D L
    Re: Very generous...

I am a Rotarian and therefore I guess, it comes with the territory.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The Alphason arms should work well with more modern MC's like the Sumiko's mentioned. I was terrified of the BPS though, as it's a skeletal device. I think HiFi Dave used to order a spare with every one sold, as most came back broken in the first week as customers were too clumsy. Sounded great though!

The DL110 and 160 are still great value and I'd suggest one of these. I haven't heard the new Ortofon mm's though, but dislike the concept of "a quid or two extra on a better diamond means double the retail price!" and this is what seems to happen, the packaging sometimes costing more than the cartridge!
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Shaun.

I used to have, many years ago, a Dynavector DV10X and really liked that but I remember it being really heavy and difficult to balance out. My long lasting memory was that it had a fabulous full solid sound that I really liked. Question is of course... Would it really be a step up from the Denon DL160...???

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12