+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve phono stage for loan - want to try it?

I'm Alan.

Default Valve phono stage for loan - want to try it?

I've been at it again, putting soldering iron to components, and have built myself a valve phono preamp for MM input, with line level output.
    My vinyl source is mediocre to say the least but it certainly sounds as good if not better than my discrete transistor phono preamp.

Now what I would like is to some feedback to its real performance.
    It would be good if those of you with excellent vinyl sources could try it, better still to compare it with other preamps; is anyone interested?

I am willing to ship it to the first candidate if you are willing to ship to the next.
    It weighs in at 1.55Kg

Alan
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Francois.

Hi Alan,

I am happy to give your MM stage a listen!
    I currently have a MingDa 2006 valve PhonoStage with some lundhal MC transformers... So hopefully a good frame of reference for your design.

I have some pictures of its inside if you want to compare the design to yours?

My cartridge is a Lyra Clavis, bolted on a modified Technics SL1210.
    My amplification is Single Ended 845 valve integrated from Yarland (as reviewed in HFC anf HFN last month...)
    All is finally plugged in a pair of Triangle Antal ES...

PM me if you are interested.

Best

F
    Francois, Bergerac, France
    Source component/s:
    Musical Fidelity M1 Dac, Allo Digi One, Sony SCD-XE800, AVID Ingenium Twin arm, Audio Note Arm One, Groovemaster II 12in, Audio Note IQ3 MM, Denon DL103R MC, Croft Basic 25, TQ Iridium Phonostage, Puresound T10 Stepup Transformer, Zavfino majestic tonearm cable
    Amplification:
    Audio Note OTO PP, Dussun V6i
    Loudspeakers:
    Triangle Comete ES, Klispch RP600M
    Cables/stands:
    Quadraspire, Belden 9497

I'm Alan.

OK, first reply was from Tarzan (Andy) so he will be the first recipient.

I just ask that you all keep the whereabouts and findings on the open forum so all can share in the results.
    Hopefully it will be interesting to see how different forumites find the same kit performs in widely different systems, I will certainly be looking forward to the results.

Frankyc2003 (Francois) you are the second reply so once Andy has given it a listen he can forward it to you. It will be interesting to compare to such exotica . I would like to see the internal shots please.

For those of a technical persuasion the circuitry is based on a good engineering approach:
    A regulated supply with choke filtering, DC heaters, a pentode input stage, passive RIAA equalisation, a triode gain stage followed by a cathode follower to give low output impedance. All 3 valves are used Mullard manufacture.

Alan
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Francois.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    I would like to see the internal shots please.
    There We go...

that's the whole of the phonostage...

This is the MM stage which I am using with Lundhal Transformers

I believe a published diagram is available here:
    http://www.china-hifi-audio.com/ming...2coa3g9jft58o6

looking forward reading Tarzan's findings!
    Cheers for the opportunity Alan!
    Source component/s:
    Musical Fidelity M1 Dac, Allo Digi One, Sony SCD-XE800, AVID Ingenium Twin arm, Audio Note Arm One, Groovemaster II 12in, Audio Note IQ3 MM, Denon DL103R MC, Croft Basic 25, TQ Iridium Phonostage, Puresound T10 Stepup Transformer, Zavfino majestic tonearm cable
    Amplification:
    Loudspeakers:
    Cables/stands:
    Quadraspire, Belden 9497

I'm NotSoPissedOffNowCosMyHiFisUnpacked.

I'd be interested in a try but not before end of March due to my impending house move and the fact that I need to sort my Partridge transformers before I can use a MM stage.
    Ian
    http://www.hifisounds.co.uk

Photo bucket - loads of mods!

SL1200- DIY PSU- DIY FET int regs-Denon DL103 by Expert Stylus Company on Isokenetic stabiliser & Sumiko HS-12 shell- Achromat - Isonoe feet, Meridian 200 Phono satge, Junson JA-88D, Audio Aero Capitole CD/ DAC, extreme modified Marantz SA7001, Squeezebox Touch modded to death!, Focal 826WSE- Kimber 8TC, Kimber and CAT5 attenuated DIY Interconnects, Kimber mains

"Leave Nothing as Standard"

I'm ILOB.

I be interested always good to hear something new
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Alan.

Thanks for the interest chaps, and thanks for the photos Francois; they certainly use well rated resistors

I have gone down the 'compact' route again, basically dictated by the choice of case I had kicking about.

Here is the MM Pre:

This is with the front panel off

Here are the internals

On test in the lounge

Alan

I'm Francois.

Out of curiosity, which pentode have you used for your input stage?
    ECC83 Mullard must sound good BTW!
    Source component/s:
    Amplification:
    Loudspeakers:
    Cables/stands:
    Quadraspire, Belden 9497

I'm Alan.

I haven't gone down the traditional route, of say the EF86, I have used what was to hand in my small valve stock.

I decided not to duplicate the usual 2x or 3x ECC83 design so I used 2x ECF80 plus 1x ECC83. This wouldn't be a common choice but it has turned out remarkably quiet. The triode section of the ECF80 is low mu so is ideal for the cathode follower on the output.

I had a look at the Ming Da circuit and it struck me that there wasn't a lot of current flowing even in the cathode follower output stage. I tend to go for more current to make the music flow also,

Alan
    Last edited by Firebottle; 22-02-2013 at 15:22.

I'm Francois.

That sounds very interesting...
    I have to say that the Ming Da was plagued by hum when I first got it...
    But a couple of Capacitors later, it seems to have regained a normal composure...
    I am really looking forward reading what Tarzan think about your design!
    Source component/s:
    Amplification:
    Loudspeakers:
    Cables/stands:
    Quadraspire, Belden 9497

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast