+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone remember JDI pre / monoblocks?

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by nat8808 View Post
    Oo, fine taste Sir - always fancied trying the Townshend 600 system but feel I've missed my chance as they used to sell for £200 on ebay, an unknown set. Now too many people on there pushing up prices so would expect nearer £500.

What were they like?
    Very good, putting aside the Pre's outboard plastic box power supply, it was a super pre-amp, very thick extruded aluminium sleeve. Loved the way the rear was contructed at an angle so all the socketry fired upwards. Never ever seen the power amps for sale since..

The Townshend Pre/Pwr..Rock/Merlin/Excalibur/555 was one hell of a good system.

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Kipling View Post
    The review was in the Aug '90
    '89/'90 sounds about right because they were there when i bought my Radford 'WSCD1' CD Player around that time..

I'm Stephen.

And here's the front cover, André.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Nobody.

I also bought a Rose 'RV23' around that time maybe a year or so later, that was a nice toobe Pre amp, very well built & nicely laid out inside.

I'm Stephen.

Both that and the Townsend preamp were review in 'Answers/Audiophile and got positive reviews.

I'm Nobody.

Aye the matching Rose power amp was a transistor amp tho.

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare Bird View Post
    Very good, putting aside the Pre's outboard plastic box power supply, it was a super pre-amp, very thick extruded aluminium sleeve. Loved the way the rear was contructed at an angle so all the socketry fired upwards. Never ever seen the power amps for sale since..

The Townshend Pre/Pwr..Rock/Merlin/Excalibur/555 was one hell of a good system.
    I've seen a few sets on ebay over the years but probably about once every 3 years.. Like all rare occurances, there's a kind of exponential fall off in chance of you and it crossing paths unless you're constantly going through everything listed. Add in short lasting BINs and the chance is even less..

I've a naked MC555 - was nice until the suspension came upstuck.. Must get it repaired if I can. Love the green case.

And I've a Radford WSCD3 too...though again needing a repair. This all comes from me reading old Hifi News's and spotting things secondhand. Sounds like you were enjoying he gear I was enthusing over but some 20 years beforehand..

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Kipling View Post
    The review was in the Aug '90 of The Audiophile and was indeed by Alvin Gold. Thought it was two pages but it's just one. It was £2,500 at the time.

If you want to give an address I'll get it copied on Monday.
    I've just realised that you mean photocopied and posted? I don't have the mag myself so I would be very greatful for a copy.

However, what do you reckon to just taking a photo of the page? Would your camera focus well enough on the page so the text was clear (with no flash glare)? Then a high enough res photo would be fine (or two photos, half a page each).

Wouldn't want you to spend on postage unnessecarily.

I'm Stephen.

I've tried. I only have my mobile and to get the text in focus takes a total of 10 shots. I can stretch to a stamp, an envelope and photo copy charge.

I'm ChrisB.

I've got a copy but my scanner's out of action. Give me a few minutes & I'll sort something for you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast