+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jelco -SA750D recommended tracking force range

I'm Retief.

Default Jelco -SA750D recommended tracking force range

Hi there

Does anybody know what the Jelco's recommended tracking weight range is. I know it is a medium mass arm with an effective mass of 20g (with headshell) and that guys like Marco use it for low compliance cartridges like the DL-103. What I'm trying to get to is how this arm will work with more compliant cartridges and lower tracking weights.

I have my eye on the Cartridgeman's Music Maker III which tracks at 1.5g and iis recommended for med to low weight arms. I was hoping that the Jelco with its good bearing may be able to handle this cart?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!
    Retief
    Analogue: Origin Live Resolution mk2,OL Encounter mk3c,MM III and isolator.Digital:CA 840C.Amplification:Croft RIAA R, Icon Audio LA4mkii,Icon Audio MB845 signature version.Speakers: Kef Reference 203/2 Cables: Mark Grant G2000HD. Speaker cable Van Damme Hi-Fi UP-LCOFC.Headphone: Grado PS1000,HD650,HD600,Icon Audio HP8 RCM DIY Moth

It will be fine, although you may want to try the upper limit or say 1.7g ?

Dave

I'm Retief.

Cheers Dave
    Retief
    Analogue: Origin Live Resolution mk2,OL Encounter mk3c,MM III and isolator.Digital:CA 840C.Amplification:Croft RIAA R, Icon Audio LA4mkii,Icon Audio MB845 signature version.Speakers: Kef Reference 203/2 Cables: Mark Grant G2000HD. Speaker cable Van Damme Hi-Fi UP-LCOFC.Headphone: Grado PS1000,HD650,HD600,Icon Audio HP8 RCM DIY Moth

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Do you really want an over-priced Grado with dull measured balance (HFW test fairly recently)? There is SO much better out there at less cost. I very much suspect that a Stanton 681EEE mk3 would run a MM3 close if you didn't know which was which, and of course the DL103 in one of its better incarnations would also be substantially cheaper, as would the Sumiko BPS which should be an ideal match to the jelco IMO...

Sorry to cr@p on your preferred choice. The jelco should have superb bearings with very low friction and I understand the damping option should be fine with the MM3, unless extra cantilever suspension damping is added by who-ever mods this cartridge (Grado's severely lacked damping according to old reviews and the arm-cart resonance could be severe. The reference Grado's (in the wooden bodies) LOVED the Grace 714 - the damped uni-pivot with wooden arm "tube").
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Retief.

Hi Dave

I tried the Sumiko BPS this weekend and wasn't over the moon with it, it is too polite (recessed) and lacks excitement, although very well balanced tonally, I'd say better than DL-110 and definitely better than the 1042. Soundstaging was also great, but on certain recordings it was too deep and you could get the impression that you were listening to someone playing at the end of a long corridor or at the very least, are sitting in the backrow of a concert hall.

So, although I thought it was a good cart, well balanced and smooth, a little recessed and lacked the wow factor for me. To sum it up, if I had only 20mins to listen to an album and wanted to get a kick out of it, i.e. shivers running down my spine, it wouldn't be my choice, if I had to listen for an hour or more, I would consider it.

I'm still looking for the cart that will grab me by the ear and wow me, without being fatiguing. Although the 1042 was a little edgy and forward in its presentation, it did have the punch where I wanted it.
    Retief

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I know the MM3 isn't exactly the same as a "vanilla" Grado, but I'd hardly call it exciting in sound, judging by the review I read and my experience of the donor model(s)..

The Dynavector 10XV is a bit expensive these days, but it sounds to me like a souped up 1042 and it'll love the Jelco IMO. The DV20 series (hi and lo output) offer more refinement though, while keeping broadly to the beefy-n-musical presentation.

Expensive, but the ZYX cartridges impressed me and if you really want one of the closest approaches to master tape you can get from LP, try a DECCA, you can't go wrong.....

I don't know what turntable you're using?????????

I'm Retief.

Thx for the info Dave

From my understanding, the MM3 only uses a Grado body and all the rest is different. I think in a different thread (where we also discussed the BPS) we agreed that the relatively expensive 10XV is not really worth it if I already have the DL-110. I really like the DL-110, it is more neutral and refined than the 104, but then the 104 gave the music a bit more weight which I liked. I've never heard either the ZYX or Decca, will give it a try. I think Walrus stocks both the MM3 and Deccas, so will be able to compare.

I.m using the SL1210 mk 2 with Timestep PSU and Jelco 750D.
    Retief

I'm Steve.

My path has been Sumiko BPS EvoIII then AT 33PTG (very good cart - much better than the BPS) and now lower compliance higher mass SPU Royal N (big step up again).
    I massed up with a Sumiko headshell and the arm I am using with a 3g extra weight and new 12g heavier counter balance than standard. I played around with the weight and counter balance weights to settle on those masses as optimum. Cart and headshell come to 24g + 3g extra weight.
    This is using a PL-71 arm - medium mass. Others have successfully used this arm with the integral SPU's (30g inc headshell).

So there are things to can do to accommodate.
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm David.

SPU's are generally too bassy I found (along with HiFi Dave with a new one I think) and in my experience don't track too well. Ortofon did try to improve on them when the SL15 series came out you know....

The AT33PTG is a superbly truthful cartridge by all accounts, but if one likes the ballistic qualities of the 1042, the supposedly leaner clarity of the 33 may just not suit, although I'd say it's much better and on a different level than the Goldrings.

I can't help it - get a Decca and be done with it - it leaves most other cartridges standing and I understand the current product with Deccapod/Bastin clamp is reliable too..... The Jelco should take the Decca without shaking apart and the optional damping will be of benefit as well.

So there

+ Reply to Thread