+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help: Marantz PM-80 ii has died on me

I'm george.

Default Help: Marantz PM-80 ii has died on me

Hi All,
    Looking for someone to have a look at my Marantz pm-80..I was using it this morning,then switched it off to go out for a while,came back and switched it on again...the usual click,but no sound,not even through headphones,Ive tried all the obvious,changing speakers,inputs,etc etc to no avail? Any ideas? I can see lights inside still working.
    Im useless with this stuff so ideally someone who knows these great amps,if not too far out of London I will take it there as its sooo heavy.
    any and all help/suggestions appreciated
    ps not sure if there is a fuse inside I can check,but dont want to open it up needlessly
    George

synsei Guest

Is there a fuse holder on the back George? If so you might want to check it. If not the chances are its an internal fuse so you will need to whip its top off. I predict a trip to Maplins in the near future

I'm george.

Thanks Dave
    No fuses holders on the back....I guess Ill have to check inside,but before I do maybe someone can tell me if there are fuses inside.

synsei Guest

On the board in front of the trafo I'm guessing

I'm James.

If you get the usual 'Click' a few seconds after the Power Button is pressed then the Protection Circuitry thinks there's no problems. Most odd.

Don't think me rude but have you by accident turned the Speakers Off or turned On the 'Tape Monitor'' or similar?
    An accidental button press could easily cause what you're experiencing.

These do suffer from 'Dry' Solder Joints around the Output Transistors but this usually causes DC to appear where it shouldn't and you don't get the Click of the Protection Relay connecting the Speakers.

From the Photo kindly added there seems to be a PCB attached to the Front Panel just in front of the Power Transformer, I think I may have had a Regulator fail on this, it was a long time ago so my memory may be playing tricks with me.

Regards,

James.

I'm george.

Thanks for that,but Ive actually tried everything,right down to thinking the speakers had blown and changed them,Ive changed the speaker outputs from a to b,switched the mute on and off,switched class a on and off,and tried all the inputs...zilch...just cant figure it out

I'm NotSoPissedOffNowCosMyHiFisUnpacked.

Can you hear the protection replays clicking? Do they click on and straight off again?

These amps suffer from various issue with dry joints, relay issues, relay control issues and problems with the chip type pre amp.
    Its worth getting the lid off and having a look and also looking for dry joints if you can see the bottom of the main PCB. Somethimes there is an inspection plate on the base (cant remember if this is the case with the PM80.

Look for burned resistors on the component side and failed solder joints on the track side.

post some high res pics and I'll take a look. Make sure you unplug from the mains before getting the lid off
    Ian
    http://www.hifisounds.co.uk

Photo bucket - loads of mods!

SL1200- DIY PSU- DIY FET int regs-Denon DL103 by Expert Stylus Company on Isokenetic stabiliser & Sumiko HS-12 shell- Achromat - Isonoe feet, Meridian 200 Phono satge, Junson JA-88D, Audio Aero Capitole CD/ DAC, extreme modified Marantz SA7001, Squeezebox Touch modded to death!, Focal 826WSE- Kimber 8TC, Kimber and CAT5 attenuated DIY Interconnects, Kimber mains

"Leave Nothing as Standard"

I'm george.

Yes I see what I think is an inspection plate on the base that can be unscrewed...my problem is I havent an idea what to look for...dry joint? I knew all about dry joints in my teens,but not the joints we're talking about here and I havent a clue what to look for. As far as I can tell the amp is acting normally when I switch it on...I wait for the click,then turn up the volume...same click happens if I change the speaker outputs from 1 to 2....except now there is no sound...Im totally lost and could just about manage to change a fuse inside if I knew there was one in there,but apart from that,I might as well be looking into a field...there must be someone reasonably close to London (30-50 miles) that can have a look for me. I dont expect it for free,but am reticent about leaving it in somewhere as Ive been stung in the past with the "sharp intake of breath" when I brought other stuff for checking. I do know some people who will look at it for me but they are a long way away and its a monster that I dont want to post.

I'm NotSoPissedOffNowCosMyHiFisUnpacked.

I could have a look George but it wont be until mid March as I'm packing to move right now. I'm 15 miles southwest of Oxford. If you fancy taking some pics, i'll see it there is anything obvious I can see.
    Ian
    http://www.hifisounds.co.uk

Photo bucket - loads of mods!

SL1200- DIY PSU- DIY FET int regs-Denon DL103 by Expert Stylus Company on Isokenetic stabiliser & Sumiko HS-12 shell- Achromat - Isonoe feet, Meridian 200 Phono satge, Junson JA-88D, Audio Aero Capitole CD/ DAC, extreme modified Marantz SA7001, Squeezebox Touch modded to death!, Focal 826WSE- Kimber 8TC, Kimber and CAT5 attenuated DIY Interconnects, Kimber mains

"Leave Nothing as Standard"

synsei Guest

George, have you something to use in the meantime? If not you are welcome to borrow my Mini-T until the PM80 is fixed. I know it is no powerhouse but it does sound nice. Let me know if you do, PM me your addy and I wll post it out to you

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast