+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: amp question

I'm David.

Default amp question

i may well not follow this up with action, im just intriged to know if it is possible

my office system is powered through one of these little tripath amps runnig into my dynaudio audience 42's. my office is very small and as such the 86dB speakrs do put out enough sound for reasonable listening!

what im interested to know is; is it possible to get a second tripath amp and power the speakers individually?

by the end of the week iwill be sending the signal to my single tripath with a beresford tc-7520 so i could use that as a preamp if that makes any odds?

this is the tripath that i own: http://www.templeaudio.net/bantam.html

1. If the amps can be bridged, then yes. Unfortunately, most class T amps that I know of cannot be bridged.

2. If your speakers can be bi-wired, then yes. One amp will power the high frequency for both speakers and the other amp powers the low frequency for both speakers.

How do you find the Bantams? Sounds good to you?

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by snowflake; 25-03-2009 at 12:23.

I'm David.

it helps me realise its a dead end idea... cheers...

as for the bantam, yeah its not bad, im happy with it for what i use it for. it has a lot of potential with the right kit. i took my 82/180/hc out my naim system and put the bantam in there place. i was frankly shocked how good it sounded. it wasnt the naim sound i was used to but i did say to my missis at the time that if ever my amp needs to go for repair at least i will have something to put is its place that wont make me really frustrated in listening to it.

i have very high hopes for the sound its going to give me with the beresford. and you cant argue with its size for a small room system. im not really very good as using the audiophile adjectives but i think the best one is prob transparent! the only caveat at the price is that i would not recomend useing it with any other kit that doesnt perform to well bass wise, i plugged in a firestone tube pre-amp to add an input to the system and the bass went seriously ill defined and literally bubbley sounding.
    otherwise they really are a no brainer.
    i dont know how it compares to other tripath amps, my guess, and i might well be wrong is they are all a much for muchness.
    do you have any experience of them your self?

I'm David.

hmm it seems i was wrong, i have pluged that firestone back in after using it in a different system and it doesnt have that bubbley sound any more, i guess it has just run its self in now.
    it does actually sound ok with the bantam tripath, it sorta fills out the sound.
    im giving my self to many options with this little system

Hi Hamish,

i dont know how it compares to other tripath amps, my guess, and i might well be wrong is they are all a much for muchness.
    do you have any experience of them your self?
    I'm planning to replace my aging amp with a class T amp. (Hence my interest in the Bantam) I did try out the Trends TA10.1. It was ok, good soundstage, but they require very sensitive speakers. the 87db speakers at the store was already clipping when I pushed the volume up.

I also saw the Virtue One at the store and I tried it out. it was 30watts of pure Class T power. The bass was phenomenal and the imaging was excellent. How should I say... I felt that the music had a lot of impact. No sense of coldness or distance to the sound.

http://store.virtueaudio.com/product...-ia-ap11-1.htm

i have pluged that firestone back in after using it in a different system and it doesn’t have that bubbley sound any more, i guess it has just run its self in now.
    it does actually sound ok with the bantam tripath, it sorta fills out the sound.
    im giving my self to many options with this little system
    Here's one more option for you. Have you thought of using a dedicated power supply for your Firestone preamp? I've read that there's a significant improvement. Its called the Firestone Supplier. I've got a Firestone Headamp. The Cute Beyond. Good value for money IMO. Allows me to opamp roll.

I'm also using a modded (or semi destroyed from my bad soldering skills) 7510 StanDac. I hope you enjoy your soon to arrive 7520. I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed.
    Last edited by snowflake; 26-03-2009 at 14:10.

I'm David.

i saw that virtue thing when i was trying to find out more about the tripath amps in general. it does apear to be one of the better options from what i read about them, sub out could be useful. i imagine taking the stress of powering the bass off the tripath would do it good too! i was a bit to sceptical about them to buy one without hearing them to fork out that much. there doesnt seem to be anywhere near me that has even heard of tripath never mind have them in the shop to listen to.
    the bantam doesnt clip at all when i use it by its self even at full whack powering my 86dB speakers it sounds fine. it does clip when using it with the firestone pre though, i guess its something to do with the gain of the pre??

cheers for the firestone info, but from what i can make out the tubehead pre doesnt reqire the external power supply as it is made of 2 boxes fixed together. bottom one power supply and top one pre.

do yoyu know much about the firestone kit, i posted on here trying to get some advice about the chaneable opamps but got no response

I'm David.

i saw that virtue thing when i was trying to find out more about the tripath amps in general. it does apear to be one of the better options from what i read about them, sub out could be useful. i imagine taking the stress of powering the bass off the tripath would do it good too! i was a bit to sceptical about them to buy one without hearing them to fork out that much. there doesnt seem to be anywhere near me that has even heard of tripath never mind have them in the shop to listen to.
    the bantam doesnt clip at all when i use it by its self even at full whack powering my 86dB speakers it sounds fine. it does clip when using it with the firestone pre though, i guess its something to do with the gain of the pre??

cheers for the firestone info, but from what i can make out the tubehead pre doesnt reqire the external power supply as it is made of 2 boxes fixed together. bottom one power supply and top one pre.

do yoyu know much about the firestone kit, i posted on here trying to get some advice about the chaneable opamps but got no response

I'm Chris.

Hamish,

I've been considering a tripath amp for a desktop system for a long time, but then UK prices of the TA 10.1 took a big jump. I only recently discovered the Bantam and as I know no one who is using one, I'd be really interested hear it how sounds feed by the TC-7520.

Are you using the bog standard switched mode PSU that temple audio supplies with your tripath?
    Chris

Stuff

1. Linux PC with onboard HDA SB/ALC892 24/192 optical S/PDIF and/or USB > TC-7520 (Gator + LM4562NA) > Quad 306 > AVI Neutron 3
    2. Rotel RCD 965BX > TC-7520 ( Gator + LM4562NA) > Hd595
    3. Rpi B+/HifiDigi B+ (with isolation transformer) Running "SqueezeOnArch" - https://github.com/SqueezeOnArch
    Nonsense
    1. Belkin Pure AV (white) phono, Belkin Pure AV (silver) USB, QEd 79-strand speaker cable.
    2. MG belden digital co-ax

I'm David.

ok..... im upstairs listening to rod stuart (i cant knock grand theft auto's kdst for getting me into more 70/80rock) i have taken the firestone out of the question so its just marantz cd63 mk2 ki standac 7520 and bantam. i havent got the usb/pc thing working yet but stan has (fingers crossed) got that minor issue in hand.
    it sounds good, im rubbish at audiophile adjectives as i keep telling people. i think the bantam gives a very true representation out what its being fed. i belive the word is transparent? it sounds like stans dac, before it definatly sounded like my qed dac.
    there is nothing that sounds bad to my ear.
    ... listening to hot chip now....
    everything sounds well defined there is adiquate bass
    the whole thing sounds very open and detailed
    i have told people this before but when i took my naim 82/180/hc out my system and put in the bantam my fiancee was unsure which was which when i blind tested her and she just moaned when i put the firestone thing back in saying it sounded to much like a radio (whatever that means... shes worse than this than me, mostly i suspect because she doesnt give a sh-one-t)
    so yeah... its a pretty good combo
    i would say for the money its gotta be unbeatable
    buy the standac first as there is, for the money, nothing as usefull. also i cant imagine for one minute the dacmagic is better and nothing else (at least in my world) has the conectivity / upgradeability / outstanding customer service (you can bloody ask the bloody guy who bloody designs the bloody thing questions and he makes the time to bloody answer) and sound quality all in the one package of the 7520
    as for the batam buy one and if you dont like it you will prob only loose a £5 selling it on ebay if you explain the circumstances
    in fact stan i belive takes his dacs back if you dont like them
    so really.... just do it, you have nothing, or at least very little to loose!!

sorry thats not the in depth audiophile review, but i hope it helps or at least provides a usefull perspective

i am using the standard psu. is there an alternative that you could suggest... im not clever enough to know what would be better!
    Last edited by The Vinyl Adventure; 30-03-2009 at 18:59.

I'm Chris.

Hamish,

Thanks for your positive perspective on the Bantam t-amp. It's even supposedly UK built, which makes a change.

I cannot suggest an alternative PSU , well not unless you are prepared to splash out for something like this http://www.kingrex.co.uk/power_supply.htm. In any case, there's no certainty as to the worth of upgrading from the standard PSU.

As it is, if would be within my budget and would consume less power than using my old hi-fi amp. I'm surprised it has enough oomph to drive your 4 ohm Dynaudio speakers. I thought finding suitable speakers might be a problem.

I have a TC-7520, three weeks old. Using it with my PC connected via USB and listening via Senn HD595s. I'm not certain I want to use headphones exclusively, otherwise any further investment would be in a pair of AKG K701s.

Hope you sort your USB thing out. Anyway, keep sailing...
    Chris

Stuff

1. Linux PC with onboard HDA SB/ALC892 24/192 optical S/PDIF and/or USB > TC-7520 (Gator + LM4562NA) > Quad 306 > AVI Neutron 3
    2. Rotel RCD 965BX > TC-7520 ( Gator + LM4562NA) > Hd595
    3. Rpi B+/HifiDigi B+ (with isolation transformer) Running "SqueezeOnArch" - https://github.com/SqueezeOnArch
    Nonsense
    1. Belkin Pure AV (white) phono, Belkin Pure AV (silver) USB, QEd 79-strand speaker cable.
    2. MG belden digital co-ax

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast