+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time travel cassette deck

I'm Alex.

Default Time travel cassette deck

I've added a rather interesting tape deck to my growing collection - Goodmans SCD-100, in "as new" condition - literally, in the original box and bag, with leads (DIN ), manual, sale invoice from Comet in Belfast for £104-95, dated 29/04/75 and some newspaper clippings with prices for hi-fi stuff in Comet from that time. Quite impressive! However the most interesting thing is that this deck is actually made by Nakamichi in Japan and it is a re-badged for Goodmans Nak 500 Dual-Tracer, with excellent mechanics, good sound and crystalloy "focused gap" head.

Alex
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Neil.

I remember Comet in Belfast....WOW. Looks nice flat bed recorder....I was 10 in 1975. So my memory is from much later on.

I think my Dad bought an Akai full size system (Stack) from them.

There where quite a few good hi-fi shops in Belfast then and a bit later on. Audio Times (part of Hi-Fi Markets), Radio Rentals (did Luxman, Cambridge audio,Avance etc). Manchester and midland (Quad, Linn), Zeus Audio ( anything that was odd and not Linn or Naim) and Electronic Services (Aiwa etc). How the times have changed. There is only one now, and they are more about TVs and wiring up your house.....when I think about it they are not a hi-fi shop...just as Richer Sounds isn't either...... So there are none if we are being strict about it and AV is your main business as theirs is.

Regards D S D l
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 24-03-2009 at 08:22.
    Regards Neil

I'm Nick.

Blimey, that's a nice find. You're a jammy so-and-so!

There's an interesting write up about the Nak 500 here: http://www.nakamichi-schenk.nl/Speci...nt/Nak500E.htm

I like this bit:

Rare: A Nakamichi 500 dating from 1974 is rarely seen after over 30 years. But still the machines pop up every now and then as they are almost indestructible examples of ancient recorders.

Do post some pics of it unboxed when you get the chance. I'd love to hear how it sounds. I guess it may need new belts after all this time, and possibly even new caps, despite it's time-capsule provenance...

PS. I was 2
    Last edited by Beechwoods; 23-03-2009 at 23:20.
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Neil.

Nice Link Nick....Whats the sites home page ?

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Nick.

Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

1975 - good year for music IIRC. Pink Floyd released "Wish You Were Here" (still got my battered 1st edition release), Queen hit No 1 with "Bohemian Rhapsody", Kraftwerk had "Autobahn" out, KC had "That's The Way", Labelle "Lady Marmalade". The Bee Gees had released "Jive Talkin'".

Long ago heady days - glad I was alive when this stuff came out as it meant something then - most everything in the charts since has seemed to be a bit of a let down.

Call me an old git, 'cos "they don't write 'em like they used to !".

Chris

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Call me an old git, 'cos "they don't write 'em like they used to !".

Chris
    What's more, they don't record 'em like they used to, either!

Alex

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Fantastic, Alex! VU meters and slide controls and fings... Yummy

Can we see it without its kegs on (nice close-up piccy please)?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Exclamation

Alex may have it on the Sound Hi Fi stand at the show this weekend? Next to my 3 arm Micro Seiki DQX-1000 ??

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Cawley; 24-03-2009 at 07:28.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Nikitin View Post
    What's more, they don't record 'em like they used to, either!

Alex
    Sadly that is very, very true.

Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast