Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Phono stages: an observation

I'm Raz.

jus lil ole me again!

just wanted to give an update, I received my Iso today. I accidently plugged it into the phono input of my amp! after hearing the banshee screams I switched to an auxillary input and smiled my ass off when the Duke began to play.

My verdict on the little I know on these matters is that its simply amazing the level of depth and detail a phono stage can extract from a sweet groove.

For me these 2 really had me smiling, different instruments including amazing vocals to really give it a workout.

my last word...wow!

I'm Rockabilly.

A doff of the cap from me for spinnin' the "in a mellotone" long player.
    Takin' the A Train...
    Johnny Dodgem.

Cartridges vintage MMs including Pickering xsv-4000/xsv-3000 : Stanton 881s/D81 : AT140LC/VMN40ML
    Spinners hot rod 1210 (Jelco 750D, Origami, Ammonite, Longdog, Vantage, Achromats) : Pye G63 & Garrard AT6 : Two full custom Lencos : Kenwood KD-650D
    Streaming Qobuz : BluOS & Node2 (Fidelity Audio modified) : RME ADI-2 DAC
    Pre-amps Tron Seven (GT modified) : Conrad Johnson EV1 : Croft Micro 25 : Decware ZStage
    Power Amps PrimaLuna ProLogue 5 (KT120) : PrimaLuna ProLogue 4 (KT77)
    Speakers The Edingdale : Meadowlark Hot Rod Shearwater

I'm Mark.

I don't think you need to spend a bundle to get a really nice phono preamp. I bought a stock Cambridge Audio 640p, which I consider a nice little budget preamp. I sent it to a guy out in Houston, Texas and he did the following mods to it:

Here is a review and synopsis of the mods / upgrades.

1. All electrolytic caps were replaced with Panasonic FC's and SU's for the bipolars.
    2. Op amps removed and op amp sockets installed.
    3. Polystyrene caps installed in place of ceramic bypass caps on the op amps.
    4. The two 220pf input caps removed completely.
    5. Optionally input resistors changed to adjust impedance to the cart for best performance.

I paid about $100 plus shipping for the work. I would put my preamp up against any at $1000.00 or less and I have been told by others that it has bested preamps in the $1500.00 range.

I'm James.

Agree that the Nighthawk is great value for money. And being battery operated gives it a lot of flexibility with moving around different turntables. I got a friend who carries it with him where ever he goes.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456