+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quadraspire Reference tables

Default Quadraspire Reference tables and Music Works

These are what I use. They are a modular performance stand option with looks to taste but they certainly deliver on the musical front. They began as Quadraspire furniture but have been breathed on a few times by the guys at Audio Works.

The only drawbacks with them seem to be:

1) They are not fans of a particular Scottish turntable with the bouncy upgrade. The unbouncy option on this stand outperforms the bouncy one on ordinary furniture quite significantly.

2) This stand is constantly evolving meaning you just have to go out and buy the latest improvement.

First they changed the rods to be tapered and have decoupling rings to prevent each shelf coming in contact with the rod supporting the shelf above it. The 'Reference' version of Quadraspire wooden furniture was thus born in 2001. It was available in different wood veneer finishes or black or silver MDF. The MDF version sounded slightly better but wasn't as pretty.

Then Dave Cattlin discovered cutting holes in each shelf reduced mass and speeded up energy transfer across the shelves and down the rods to ground. Dynamics, timing (further reduction of time smear*) detail and soundstaging (if you like that sort of thing) were improved as a result. Fortunately Quadraspire offered a straight swap option plus £10 . I got my "bog seats" in early 2002.

In 2003 acrylic was discovered as an inert material that was just a no-brainer improvement. I bought just one shelf in acrylic for under my CD player.

Further minor modifications included shortening the decoupling rings.

In 2006 plastic spikes under mains block tables, top shelves and power amp tables were a subtle improvement in tunefulness and harmonic detail. They could not be placed under multi-tiered racks though.

In 2006 and last year after messing about designing a block shelf for the Reflex mains block that they ultimately abandoned, it was discovered that guitar-shaped shelves sounded a lot better than the Quadraspire shaped ones. I now have two guitar-shaped shelves and two Quadraspire ones.

This year the supporting rods are now made from acrylic. This is still at prototype stage though. I'm sure Rick will keep us posted with the latest on that score.

*Another thread will attempt to explain this particular phenomenon. Larry?

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Steve, how much of a difference did the guitar shape make?

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

¦<------------->¦

About that much.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Atacama SE24 stands

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Seems reasonably significant then

Rob,

QS Ref acrylic is about reducing microphonic 'noise' from the partnering system and controlling resonance, thus achieving maximum possible resolution, so that music is communicated to the listener as realistically as possible. Part of the design principle is also to reduce mass wherever possible as this contributes to achieving the ultimate goal.

If I didn't have a shed load of non-magnetic stainless steel Mana that's bought and paid for QS Ref acrylic is what I'd use. I think if pushed I'd say that to my ears the ss Mana is better, but not many would be able to accommodate the somewhat imposing 'tower of power' that graces my listening room

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

There is a good reason why guitars are made this shape. It is so that the box does not have a single resonant frequency (if a guitar did, it would mean that 1 frequency would be louder than all others). The tables work on the exact same principle.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick O View Post
    There is a good reason why guitars are made this shape. It is so that the box does not have a single resonant frequency (if a guitar did, it would mean that 1 frequency would be louder than all others). The tables work on the exact same principle.
    Would it not be beneficial to randomize the shape of the cut out, so that it still mimics a guitar shape, but has no set shape? Surely that would eliminate virtually all resonance?

Just a thought, based on me thinking about the B&W Nautilus speakers (the proper ones rather than the 'named' ones).

Atacama SE24 stands

I'm gone.

The Quadraspire guys have been doing some good demos at Shows recently - comparing their (relatively) new top-of-the-line table with their previous (and cheaper) efforts. Improvements in 3D presence and image solidity seemed fairly obvious and worthwhile.

... you have to ignore the demonstrator's antics though - he's a Linn-style "toe-tapper" - jiggles along excitedly when the 'better' component is in use ...

MartinT Guest

I saw their new Sunoko-Vent range at one of the shows, but the website only offers an early brochure and no pricing or other details. Has it yet come to market? I am interested in it since it offers the SV-2X double stack (so-called AV) whereas the Q4 range does not.

I saw the new range too but unfortunately they didn't have a system playing on it including any facility for A/B dems that have been performed by Audio Works at shows in the past. I suspect that if you are prepared to accept a degree of flexing in the shelves under the weight of heavier kit, acrylic is still the way to go performance-wise.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast