Closed Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Site Security Problem?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    It seems the issue you're reporting is only flagged up by the Free version of AVG. The paid version doesn't flag an issue, apparently. If you're after a good free Antivirus Microsoft Security Essentials comes recommended.
    Wrong! I've just re-installed AVG. The full version, on trial and it's still picking up the bug and only from the AOS site. At least it catches it and renders it harmless, which the other AV suites I tried didn't, including MSE. At least now I can get back on AOS with my desktop PC.

For the umpteenth time, I say it is definitely only happening when I visit AOS.

There is still an issue of some sort. If I'm the only person affected have no idea why.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Geoff, for goodness sake calm down fella - you are getting a false positive, that's why other A/V isn't picking it up, because its not an issue.

Also, that warning screen you posted is not an infection, it looks like the O/S asking if you want to run a Java update. You are totally overreacting and I repeat there is nothing wrong with the AoS site, I have spent a not inconsiderable amount of time checking this as have others.

Think about it, if there was it would be reported as it was previously by Google, which it now isn't. You are running very old outdated software (your copy of XP and IE 8.0 for instance - IE 10 is the latest Microsoft browser). You need to trust those that know when we tell you there is not and issue with this site, just an issue with your installation. My advice would be to use a more modern browser as IE 8.0 is rather old now (March 2009) and maybe even treat yourself to a modern O/S like Windows 7 or even 8. If you don't want to spend any money get Firefox 18 and MSE.

Final word on the subject . . . . THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE CURRENT SECURITY OF AoS.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Geoff.

How would a "false positive" freeze a computer?

As I said, I just tried MSE and it failed. The AOS page displayed as I've shown and froze. AVG dealt with it!

Why would I be offered the Java update when that one has already been installed and is automatically detectable and why is it only this site freezing in exactly the same way as it did before I had to reinstall the OS?

IE8 is the MS recommended browser for XP. Mine has all updates! Firefox has been known to have issues too.

XP should and does cope with any internet use under normal circumstances.

Anyway, I can now use AOS, even if (full) AVG flags constant problems and the other AVs couldn't cope, so we'll see!
    Last edited by walpurgis; 03-02-2013 at 23:51.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm ChrisB.

Geoff, I know this is frustrating for you.
    But.......you're getting advice from people who, under other circumstances, would be charging you an a-w-f-u-l lot of money for their skills, time and knowledge. These folks are rather more qualified to give you really sound advice on your problem than the guy who runs the place in the low rent computer shop down behind the High Street.
    You really should trust them, mate.

I'm Geoff.

I'm simply explaining what's happening at my end of things and regardless of people's skills I can't help it if I still have issues.

Hopefully, the information I've tried to put forward may prove to be of use.

Here's what AVG has to say about the Blackhole bug it keeps detecting:

synsei Guest

Geoff, if I were you I would ditch AVG free. Up until a couple of years ago I used to use it on all my PC's but after a while it began to regularly throw up false positives and the alerts became quite tedious and intrusive. Since then I have been using MSE to great effect along with a utility by IOBit called Advanced System Care. Unlike some of the utilities out there that claim to fix problems on your PC then end up dumping malware on it instead, ASC actually does what it says on the tin. The free version is very good, the commercial version however is utterly superb and it is excellent value for money (there is currently a three licence deal running for just over a tenner). It is very efficient with resources too (I have it running comfortably under Win XP on a 7 year old single core netbook). Do a search on the net and bone up on it Geoff, it may be the answer to your problem.

I think your Java issue is a separate one by the way, I regularly receive alerts for Java updates only to discover that I already have the latest version. I just ignore them now and download the latest version from Oracles website when one is available. I believe you can uninstall the Java auto-update tool from the Control Panel.

I'm Nick.

In simple terms Geoff, by 'False Positive' it is meant that AVG is mistakenly identifying the trojan you are pointing to. I'm not an expert in these things, but Tim and Martin are, and I trust what they say on the matter.

Believe me, I for one have pulled enough hair out about this that I know very well what you are getting at, and the info page you've screenshot. But it looks to me like AVG Free is causing your problems, and the best course of action would be to upgrade to the paid version, or to Microsoft Security Essentials, to avoid further inconvenience and frustration.
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Geoff.

Please pay attention! You guys are not reading what I've said properly

Listen fellas, I don't have an axe to grind, but Chris said it's a matter of trust. Well trust did not help at my end of things.

Here is what I have already stated.

I'm not using AVG Free, I have the full version with all the bells and whistles, for a trial period.

I tried MSE twice and it did not stop the bug from freezing AOS pages. AVG is at least dealing with the issue. I also tried other AV suites and AVG was the only effective one in this situation.

And as mentioned I have the latest Java

Anyhow, I'm back on here this morning using a different browser: 'Torch' and no issues so far. It may be that even though I'd downloaded IE8 with all updates, there was a conflict of some sort.

Remember I use XP and as I pointed out, Microsoft state IE8 is their recommended choice for use with XP.

Fingers crossed, things are now OK.
    Last edited by walpurgis; 04-02-2013 at 10:56.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I'm locking this one now, chaps, as this is clearly an individual issue relating to Geoff's computer and the security software he's using. There is no further issue regarding Malware, with the forum itself, as that matter has now been resolved. Rest assured that AoS is now a safe site!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789