+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beresford DACs

I'm Alex.

Default Beresford DACs

Decided to make a short stopover, while I wait on some piece of documentation here at work. Just a quick comment on the value of Stan's DACs -- not only did his Bushmaster help me reach the final destination in chasing the high quality sound reproduction, it was also extremely easy for me to sell his older DAC (Caiman) at practically no loss. Put it up on craigslist, and it was gone in a jiffy! (some people still seem to know the power of bang-for-the-buck

So the value of these products continue to shine. The re-sale value seems solid too. The only (potentially) bad thing for the manufacturer is that I (and perhaps some others too) don't think I'll be purchasing any other DACs any time soon. Even if Stan decides to improve on his Bushmaster (hard for me to envision how would that be even possible, as this is the most neutral sounding DAC I've ever heard), I think I'd have to give it a pass. I am extremely pleased with the sound I'm getting out of this DAC, so much so that I feel any attempts to better this would merely verge on neurosis.

It's never too late to stop!
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Alan.

Have you tried other suppliers dacs recently? You might get even more of a surprise. Take a punt.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanS View Post
    Have you tried other suppliers dacs recently? You might get even more of a surprise. Take a punt.
    What would you suggest?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Jerry.

Well I am desperate to hear the Venom mod Bushmaster but it looks like its a low priority for Stan at the moment. So my uber modified Caimen is also doing great service in my main system and an el-cheapo Sabre dac doing very good service attached to my computer.
    The only improvement I would wish for dac-wise is a bit more depth to the soundstage.
    Last edited by Covenant; 15-01-2013 at 13:42.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Alan.

Anything in the same price range. I read a review of 6 DACs one of which was a B model - it came about 4-5 th IIFC.

I just use a cheap £40 dac from a general electronics store. Perhaps you could find something like that.

BTW your endless reporting of improvement/burning in of that last model over weeks really put me off them. I mean who wants something that is either for ever changing or takes so long to get used to. It put me off Mr B products ever since. Don't get me wrong if someone left one on my doorstep I'd try it otherwise my curiosity is well done in.

Be open minded. It pays

synsei Guest

It all depends on ones budget Alan, for the price the Bushmaster would be hard to beat on performance I'd wager.

I'm andrew.

I have heard of a couple of people saying the Teac dac is a worthwhile improvement over a Caiman for £150
    Andy.

synsei Guest

At £150 the Teac DAC is a bit special however it is an end of line item and therefore is being discounted to shift the remaining stock. I believe its full RRP was closer to £300. That's not to say you shouldn't buy one of course as there is nothing on the market at that price that can compete with the spec, the Teac even supports asynchronous USB.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    At £150 the Teac DAC is a bit special however it is an end of line item and therefore is being discounted to shift the remaining stock. I believe its full RRP was closer to £300. That's not to say you shouldn't buy one of course as there is nothing on the market at that price that can compete with the spec, the Teac even supports asynchronous USB.
    ...I am currently pondering whether to buy a Bushmaster or this Teac at £150. It would be nice to try the asynchronous USB with my Squeezebox Touch. However, I do not want to get too hung up on the technology - at the end of the day which gives the nicer sound the Bushmaster or the Teac? I do a lot of headphone listening so which DAC of the two would give better sound through the headphone amp (using Sennheiser HD650's) ?
    Adam.

synsei Guest

I can't speak from experience Adam but there are many very satisfied Bushmaster owners out there who confidently state that the BM outperforms DAC's more than twice the price, and many of them regularly use the BM's headphone stage so I'm guessing it ain't too shabby

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast