+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mains. Block or regenerator ?

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Indeed.

MartinT Guest

Mike's comparison is valid for a distribution system. If you consider that you have power from a single socket (most of us only have a double and I use the other one for 'dirty' video equipment), then you can either use a distribution block or a regenerator. The P10 provides 5 clean zones of power with 9 sockets in total, so is effectively an active distribution block.

Of course, there is a steep price to pay, but then the benefits, as Mike has heard, outweigh pretty much any other way you could spend the money on your system.

Mike - I think a dedicated ring will be fine for you. Add an external earth only after consulting a qualified electrician, although I can say that my 1m spike in the ground by the house earth also helped sound quality.

There are some very nice features in the P10, such as staged power up. In fact, I set mine so that my source components are constantly fed even when the P10 is off, then the preamp powers up, then the power amp after another 5 seconds. Power off is reversed so that the power amp turns off first. No thumps, ever.

There's also the ability to power it up over the internet or from a phone. I can have my system warming up as I leave work on my way home.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMusic View Post
    Can that ring easily become a radial or very similar with a small amount of fiddling at the board end and not replacing many lengths of cable or digging out walls ?
    Ring mains circuits were installed to save copper; as there are 2 paths back to the fuse box, the cable could be thinner for a particular current. If you cut one end of the ring, I think you would be under spec. for the current; I wouldn't advise it.
    Some houses have no problems with mains noise, if there are noises from other appliances, consider suppressing them first.
    BTW, I have read that a dedicated earth spike COULD potentially be dangerous, if there is a break in the mains earth. I would be very careful here.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    I use the other one for 'dirty' video equipment),.. The P10 provides 5 clean zones of power with 9 sockets in total, so is effectively an active distribution block.

features in the P10, such as staged power up. In fact, I set mine so that my source components are constantly fed even when the P10 is off, then the preamp powers up, then the power amp after another 5 seconds. Power off is reversed so that the power amp turns off first. No thumps, ever.

There's also the ability to power it up over the internet or from a phone. I can have my system warming up as I leave work on my way home.
    Thanks Martin
    Good and bad news there for me
    Do you have your video equipment in the P10 or separate ?
    I was hoping to plug Freeview box, Tivo and DVD into the P10 because of the separate zones (!) and the nice amount of sockets

I will talk to a sparky. No fiddling with earths.
    They were substantially improved when the house was refurbed. So was the sound !

The staged on and off has more to it than I thought and sounds more useful than I though

Hopefully with me soon
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by awkwardbydesign View Post
    Ring mains circuits were installed to save copper; as there are 2 paths back to the fuse box, the cable could be thinner for a particular current. If you cut one end of the ring, I think you would be under spec. for the current; I wouldn't advise it.
    Some houses have no problems with mains noise, if there are noises from other appliances, consider suppressing them first.
    BTW, I have read that a dedicated earth spike COULD potentially be dangerous, if there is a break in the mains earth. I would be very careful here.
    If we can persuade Marco's qualified and hifi interested sparky to make the journey here with him that would be good

I also know a qualified and completely anal sparky - my sort of sparky !
    The hifi side baffles and amuses him though
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Richard.

The hifi side baffles and amuses him though
    I think that applies to most of us.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by awkwardbydesign View Post
    I think that applies to most of us.
    Oh yes !

Mike

MartinT Guest

Do you have your video equipment in the P10 or separate ?
    I was hoping to plug Freeview box, Tivo and DVD into the P10 because of the separate zones (!) and the nice amount of sockets
    No, I keep my P10 purely for audio. However, if you keep a zone for video then I can't see that it will do much harm as the current draw will be minimal.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    No, I keep my P10 purely for audio. However, if you keep a zone for video then I can't see that it will do much harm as the current draw will be minimal.
    I'll try them out and report back

Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123