+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Castle Acoustics Ltd

I'm Nobody.

Default Castle Acoustics Ltd

I never hear anything on forums regrading the original Castle Acoustics Ltd loudspeaker company! Castle were the first ever speaker i heard, The 'Howard Mk.I' /Thorens TD160 Super/ Mayware 'Formula 4, Mk.3'/ ADC '26'/Quantum Electronics '102'/'207DA' are what first turned me on to real Hi-Fi.. I've gone thru a lot of changes but always end up back to sq one..... I think i'll probly live forever with my Mk.I 'Conway' & 'Richmonds'... Absolutly fantastic speekahs
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 12-01-2013 at 18:49.

I'm Shaun.

I used to own Castle Harlech speakers back in the late nineties and kept them longer than any loudspeaker I can remember. Unfortunately they didn't really suit low powered valve amps and I'd just bought one.

I'm Nobody.

Um a bit too late a model really! i was pointing at the early 70's models.. however Ive owned every single speaker they made upto the late 80's

I'm James.

Owned Conway II, Durham I & Richmond IIIi

Living with those old Castle tweeters was a real love/hate relationship! Sometimes sounded beautiful, sometimes dire...

Can be good if used in a complimentary system & bought for a fair price - Have you seen the prices some sellers want for very average examples on ebay ?! Talk about loonies

I'm Nobody.

Can i just make it clear i'm refering to the original mid 70's Castle Richmond 'Mk.I', Howard 'Mk.I' & 'Conway 'Mk.I'..
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 06-01-2013 at 16:59.

I'm ChrisB.

I never hear anything on forums regrading the original Castle Acoustics Ltd loudspeaker company!
    You guys have just proved Andre's point!
    Most folks don't know anything about the brand from before the floor standing Chesters, which sold well because they got good reviews.
    The last pair of Castles I had were Pembrokes, from the previous range to that one. I sold them in about 1991 and they were a few years old then. The ones that Andre is referring to predate even those by a looooooooong time!

I'm Nobody.

Thank Chris. If i had transport i would indeed ship an early pair to one of the bake offs, people would be impressed im sure...I do have a pair of cubed 'Howard 'MkI' im my lock up but they are far too big for me to use, hence i'm using the the Conway Mk.I'..but at least i can say i have the first three models..

Drum kits & cymbals sound so real.. paper units rock...
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 06-01-2013 at 17:00.

I'm ChrisB.

I always fancied a pair of the bigger models - maybe they'd be just the thing to go with a Radford and a G99/Decca? I was thinking some early AR's......

I'm James.

Well the Conway II's were pretty old:

But point taken, they weren't from the first ever range that re-used Wharfedale drivers....Same poor tweeters though.

I'm Nobody.

Hi Chris
    I went up to the factory & pick up a pair of 'Conway III' they were fantastic but i still prefered the 'Conway Mk.I' i'm not sure of the eficiency but at a guess 90dB/PerW/Mtr

My logic is High efficiency speekaz/low powered amps...Low mass tonearms/high compliance cartridges..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast