+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Heybrook 'TT2'

I'm Guy.

There were multiple x-over permutations of the HB3 during its lifetime.
    Even the original HB1 eventually reached a Mk3 status. Always the Vifa M21 bass/mid driver but the tweeter changed from the D25 to a less good imho (smaller magnet) 26mm Vifa unit in the end.

The crossover was hardwired and always used film caps so isn't prone to ageing in the way it might have been with electrolytics.

The newer HB1's (with Kevlar drivers) are just a different design altogether and were made as a speaker that could be sold for £180 in modern times. Making the HB1 as was, with the drivers & cabinet it had, would result in an £800-£1000 pair of speakers now. Also, such wide speakers have simply fallen out of fashion as everyone (wrongly) wants tall & slim.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yep, Guy, and I wonder why that is - bloody WAF. Too many folk are under the thumb!

I think it's actually stifling the creativity of loudspeaker designers because their hands are tied having to produce designs that are 'domestically acceptable'.

Why is it I wonder that British men always pander to the wants of their other half, who appear to make ALL the decisions about what goes in the home?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression marriage was meant to be a partnership (50-50) so therefore such decisions should be made equally. It's definitely a British thing - it wouldn't happen in Italy, I can assure you! Some guys need to grow balls.

<Rant over>

Marco.

Much prefer stand mount speakers anyday. Even though floor stand speakers are suppose to be wife friendly , i personally think they look somewhat silly, i honestly think for some it's a way to avoid pumping money into speaker stands...Marco you perfectly correct partnership is 50/50 but there's an unbelievable amount of mice out there, more fool them for getting themselves into that position..My systems in the living room & accept that it's a living room & respect the wife wanting it that way & i'm happy to go with that.The wife always comments that my speakers are ugly but she's happy with me to have them there if that's what i want..I'll eventually get a different pair, goes without saying really..

Sounds like an amicable arrangement, Andre

I just find it hugely amusing when I hear stuff like "the wife won't let me" from some guy, in relation to a hi-fi purchase, as if they were on a leash

Marco.

I'm Ralph.

I've told my missus that if there's any part of my hifi she doesn't like then she should look away when she polishes it.
    Ralph.

Quote Originally Posted by CornishPasty View Post
    I've told my missus that if there's any part of my hifi she doesn't like then she should look away when she polishes it.
    Mine don't polish

Quote Originally Posted by CornishPasty View Post
    Aye, and on the way over from the kitchen she can bring me a beer!

Marco.

Default thought I'd jump in here...

I may be just stating what all you from 'cross the pond' take for granted....

my personal experience is limited to a 6 month short ownership of a TT2--I wished I had kept it. I sold it to help finance a new amp/preamp setup, that I still have and enjoy...., but wouldn't miss it the way I seem to miss the Heybrook. If the opportunity occurs again in the future I may very well get another and keep it forever.

My TT2 was equipped with an Alphason Xenon titanium arm. It (the arm/table combo) was fabulous. It played music in a very convincing manner, at ease, not "showy" at all.

I think that in the correct setting, with a real music lover ,this could be one of the best kept secrets in new or used audio.

But alas, here in North America (western Canada to be specific) these are becoming a little like hen's teeth---non-existent!

Good luck. I hope you enjoy your new table half as much as I did mine.

stew

Aye well stay tooned, i've re-created a new top board with DC motor (Mounted in the correct position)...Looking sexy.

I'm Shane.

Pictures please! Have you replaced the top board of the plinth, or the top surface of the arm-board? If the former, then how?
    Last edited by shane; 29-02-2008 at 23:10.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast