+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Early CD Player Recommendations?

I'm Nick.

Default Early CD Player Recommendations?

I'm coming to the conclusion that my current CD Player (which I've owned for about the last 15 years, a Technics SL-PG520A) is limiting my enjoyment of digital sources, and needs to be upgraded. It's a basic machine but I like the jog wheel and it's always been reliable.

What I am looking for as a replacement though is something that has a bit of retro cool about it, in keeping with my other kit. Digital-outs are not a pre-requisite, but good sound reproduction is, sound reproduction of an 'analogue' kind - not hard - sound that might compliment my mid-70's amplification setup.

A tall order? It would be interesting to see if anyone has any ideas...
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Neal.

Easy, an early Arcam Alpha based on a TDA1541A. Rounded warm sound that can be easily be made to 'open up' up if desired with some simple component swaps, also Leo is a bit of a wiz on these with loads of experience...

I'm inthescottishmafia.

No idea how they sound,but I liked the look of a couple of Musical Fidelity CDT1's on e bay at the mo.Used to be known as frog eyes coz of the couple of valves in the output stage.Epitomise 70's cool to me!

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post

What I am looking for as a replacement though is something that has a bit of retro cool about it, in keeping with my other kit. Digital-outs are not a pre-requisite, but good sound reproduction is, sound reproduction of an 'analogue' kind - not hard - sound that might compliment my mid-70's amplification setup.
    Hi Beechwoods,

Vintage players that have an analogue sound, now the Sony CDP-x777ES is one to look out for. The regulation is all discrete, no 78xx regulators, it has twin DAC's, two large linear power supplies. The player is circa 1990,
    http://www.thevintageknob.org/SONY/s...CDPX777ES.html

Also, the Accuphase DP65;
    http://www.thevintageknob.org/ACCUPHASE/DP65/DP65.html

Expect to pay £450 upwards for a s/h 777ES, and around £1K for the DP65.

Best Wishes
    Mark/Audiocom

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Vintage players that have an analogue sound, now the Sony CDP-x777ES is one to look out for. The regulation is all discrete, no 78xx regulators, it has twin DAC's, two large linear power supplies. The player is circa 1990,
    http://www.thevintageknob.org/SONY/s...CDPX777ES.html
    Now where have I seen one of those before?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Neil.

Default Marantz....

Hi Nick

Marantz CD85, Marantz CD94 mk2 (the mk1 is IMHO not as good). As suggested by NRG both are TDA 1541 multi bit units. AudioComs suggestions are good too. A rare one would be the Audiomeca Obsession Mk2...this has a very analogue sound (the designer Piere Lurne is a legendary TT designer)..this is the only machine in the range that is safe to buy S/H. The others have rare laser mechs, that can't be got if they break. This makes them a very unsafe S/H buy. I hate to say that because I like their sound. Audio Aero have quite an analogue sound (another French machine) a Prima could be an option. Tube Technology Fulcrum/CD 64 CDP has a valve output stage. If you want a new machine the Opera/Consonace no filter 120 model (about £700) has a very analogue sound, nice machine. Ring Allium Audio the distributor and ask for Ian Large say Neil sent you.

Regards D S D L----Neil
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 12-03-2009 at 22:46.
    Regards Neil

I'm Nick.

Thank you for the recommendations... some really nice machines there, though some a little pricey for me

I must admit that having done some digging I am very taken by the first Technics CDP, the SL-P10 > http://www.thevintageknob.org/DAD/SLP10/SLP10.html I love the vertical loading and drop-forward tray. It has a quite unique look to it. I'm going to do some more digging around. It does depend on how pricey they are...
    Nick
    My system...

I'm Peter.

I'd be interested in what you end up getting, Nick. My CD player is a very big weak link in my system, and I think it is also close to giving up the ghost. I suspect my budget will be similar (or even leaner) than yours. So, even if I'm not after the same looks as you, I would be after similar quality at a budget price.

I'm Nick.

Hi Peter... I'm definitely in the market for an early machine (early 80's if I can), something a bit special from a historical perspective. That's why I'm drawn to the 1st Gen upright disc transport models (like the Technics above), Dual also did a nice upright loader. To be honest I'm interested to take a punt on one just to see how it sounded. I'm under no illusions that the technology refined as time went on, but the early machines were 'high-end' for their time and a lot of the worst early machines came about as costs were forced through the floor in the race for market share...

If I were in the market for a good quality transport at a great price I'd probably be looking at something like the Pioneer PD-S703. It's an early 90's machine so too late for me TBH, but the transport is legendary and it comes with coax and optical outs, so partnered with a good DAC it can make some great sounds. I know it'd sound better than my current machine. And likely so even without an external DAC. There's one on the bay at the moment if you're quick.
    Nick
    My system...

I'm Peter.

One? There's 4.
    You're a naughty man making me look at more things I should buy from ebay!

Thanks for the recommendation. The price fits very nicely for me, so I shall definitely investigate that further. I think it would have to be the CDP first, with a DAC on the wishlist.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast