Nice Dave

I'm scott.

not mine - 401 in oma slate plinth with 12inch schick

OMA video - this stuff makes kondo pricing seem like Lidl
    " fuck yeah "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=X1AEaIM59AQ
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Unfortunately, Scott, aesthetically, that does nothing for me. One of the things I love about the 301 motor unit, is how 'dinky' and neat it looks, so why put it in a plinth much bigger than is necessary, thus making it look bulky, rather than dinky!

Yes I know that it's got a 12" arm fitted, but the plinth still doesn't need to be as big as that. I hate all those gaps and the wasted space! For me, this is much nicer, featuring a different T/T (TD124), but with a motor unit with a simliar sized 'footprint' as a 301:

No ugly gaps! Looks superb. The motor unit uses up the entire surface area of the plinth, which is how it should be done with a bespoke product!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Josie.

Oh aye!... +1 for that... The TD124 (for me) looks best in the original style Ortofon plinth too.. That is black with black arm board.

That's a really good pic of Tony's deck.

Looks like my tone arm is going to get the Origami treatment too!
    Last edited by The Black Adder; 17-01-2013 at 07:07.

I'm mark.

Default Tabriz

Steve, can't see you pics?

My new toy:-)

image by levs the diver, on Flick

First impressions are really good, it's certainly a step up from the Nima.
    Is it a Jelco build ??

Fresh build plinth too ( already on the bay) the corian arm board is supported on rods connected to the lower deck. I've tested with my stethoscope, and at the base of the arm it's quieter than my usual heavy ply plinths.
    It works so well, I've got to transfer the idea.

image by levs the diver, on Flickr
    Last edited by DiveDeepDog; 10-03-2013 at 16:05.

I'm Steve.

Looks great Mark, nice work! as always.

But when are we going to see your black 401 built up?

Yes i did something dumb and messed up the link codes Maybe admin could delete the post?

ok i will try again.

PTP Lenco on slate, with Ebony 12inch arm and Midas 103

Lenco B51, heavy platter conversion, slate plinth with minimul cutouts, and a 12inch arm. Or poor mans 301.

Well its BIG, fugly, bling, and very very heavy. PTP Lenco, slate plinth 2 x 12inch arms, with acrylic upper platter, and screw down clamp. Door stopper feet are tempory. (yes i like slate)
    Last edited by SteveO; 16-03-2013 at 07:06.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Fantastic stuff, Steve!

Which one is your favourite, sonically?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

+1

Regarding earlier photos, I was a bit concerned about the HiCap next the the 32.5? preamp, since low level hum induction happens this way with the two next to each other I remember. Separating the two really did open up the midrange.

Apologies for going Aspergically off-track yet again, but with vinyl sources, this used to be important where Naim was concerned
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Steve.

Hello Marco, thanks

Hmm thats a difficult one. The first photo was my first bash at a slate plinth, and really first proper Lenco. Plinth is only 25mm thick pool table slate. But its deathly silent and the PTP top plate does wonders for the sound quality, much increased refinement over a standard top plate.

The B51 has a filler plate made from 8mm thick tufnol to fill all the top plate voids to mimic a PTP, and the 35mm thick plinth basicly only has cutouts for motor and on off switch, so not too disimilar from the PTP other than the filler plate, but i would say the PTP has the edge sonically out of these two. But its close.

The bottom PTP is a bit of a monster really. Plinth is big to accomodate two 12inch arms and also 2inch thick, takes two people to lift it! Unlike the Garrad slate plinths this is basicaly all solid apart from the smallish motor cutout.
    Just added the Gyro platter and clamp for a different flavour, and likeing the sound it produces a LOT! through my DM2as

Is it better sonically than my first PTP? well, due to its size and weight, its in a different system, housed in the basement, so i have never actually directly compared the two, If anyone would like to come over and help me get it up the stairs they would be most welcome!

Despite playing around with a 401 a little (Thanks Mark) I must say i am the happyest i have ever been with either one of my two system.

But i am getting itchy fingers to build another deck, just for the fun of it!

I'm Steve.

Hi Dave,

Its actually a dual rail snaps with Avondale TPR2s, but of course your absolutley right on all counts, Perhaps i will try moving it to thew bottom shelf

Surprisingly i dont actually get any humm pickup despite the close proximity to the 32.5.

I do worry a little about it being housed on the same stand as the deck, physical vibration from the transformer etc. But having said that i am very happy with the sounds i am getting at the moment.

And domestic harmony does force a few compromises

The 32.5 has 729 cards fitted, i am also useing a dual rail nac12s with bolt down TPRd snaps as outboard phono stage for the B51.

Speakers are Meridian M2s.

I must say the pairing of M2s and Naim preamp is i find, a match made in heaven! I have a discrete version of Meridians own 101 pre, which i really liked, untill i tried the Naim pre that is.

The Naim preamp really brought the M2s to life.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast