+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Society of Sound B&W

I'm Adrian.

Default Society of Sound B&W

Having just re-ripped my CD's as AIF onto a NAS drive to get as good a digital re-play via Apple TV and WD live tv boxes with random play when being lazy, I decided to try out some 24 bit FLAC files.

So after a few google searches I stumbled across the Society of Sound on The Bowers and Wilkins web site. For those of you that do not know about it it is quite good, you can join for a year for £34 and get 2 new album releases a month, also as I found out you can download all those already there, 30+ albums. Society of Sound is a collaboration between musicians, B&W and Abbey Road Studios to make high quality music at at studio quality available to the public. Peter Gabriel is one of the famous artists. There is quite a mix of genres and there are some very good listening experiences, The Widerness of Manitoba - When You Left the Fire being a must hear.

In my opinion if you want to get into FLAC then this site is well worth trying out. The quality is exceptional.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Mike.

Good quality music, both in regard to content and sound quality! Reasonable cost for access to those HiRes FLAC's.

I was very impressed with Peter Gabriel's Half Blood, stunning performances

Regards Mike

I'm george.

++

I'm Rich.

34 quid for over 50 high quality albums cant be bad. I'm going to cancel my spotify premium subscription (£120 a year) and take this and perhaps another quality subscription service on instead. My music collection is now sufficiently large enough that I can focus on quality rather than quanity.

I also like the idea of owning my copy of the music rather than just renting it.

Are there any other similar services out there?
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    spotify premium subscription (£120 a year)

I forget that it's £10 a month and of course adds up. I stick to the ads (but haven't used it in a long long time - not sure I can remember my log in details).

I like charity shops and a good secondhand shop nearish by to keep me in new music. Blogs of obscure, long deleted material are also fantastic. Not least of all, the radio, good ol' FM !

The B&W thing does sound good as long as the music is to people's taste.

I'm Rich.

yep i signed up to SoS amd downloaded all of the contemporary 24bit stuff on offer. Now to find a quiet time to give it a proper listen.

As it happens I rather like peter gabriel and the remastered live in athens was a must for me.

I'll get to the LSO and classical stuff later, I tend to be on the road a bit these days so I'll save these for when a dull moment stuck in some anonymous hotel on a motorwaay strikes.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Do you really get all the back catalogue for that amount? Bargain if you do!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Do you really get all the back catalogue for that amount? Bargain if you do!
    No, it is currently limited to that months selection and the previous year, about 26 albums by my count. Still they are very good and I'm enjoying them all. I'm saving the classical ones for moments of contemplation when working away from home.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    No, it is currently limited to that months selection and the previous year, about 26 albums by my count. Still they are very good and I'm enjoying them all. I'm saving the classical ones for moments of contemplation when working away from home.
    Thanks for clarifying Rich - appreciated.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Rich.

Given that I'll get another 2 albums a month for the next year then it would still amount to around 50 albums and the quality is exceptional for most. In other words its worth the subscription.

+ Reply to Thread