+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Acoustic wadding

I'm Jerry.

Default Acoustic wadding

I have recently replaced the tweeters in my JPW mini-monitors and noticed there wasn't much wadding in them. The very poor photo attached shows what I mean.
    I propose to glue some inch thick wadding to the sides and top/bottom.
    Any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Hugo.

It's likely that the designer knew what he or she was doing and that amount of wadding is best. No harm in a bit of experimentation, though.

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuggie View Post
    It's likely that the designer knew what he or she was doing and that amount of wadding is best. No harm in a bit of experimentation, though.
    Hmmm, the designer might know but the person who assembled them didn't as there was no wadding in one cabinet.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm NotSoPissedOffNowCosMyHiFisUnpacked.

I bet that cabinet goes boing boing boing!!

There is a massive amount of trust in what comes out if the factory. Often things pass though which are substandard and sometimes this is by design to save money. Last month my pal was about buy new speakers to replace his £2000 dynaudio floor standers on the advise of the dealer. One driver had stopped working. I insisted he removed the driver to have a look 1st. He was horrified to plug in a cheap crimp plug that had come loose. He then proceeded to ask me why he had spent thousands on his hifi and cables if the final link in the chain was a cheap crimp plug connecting the cable to the speaker terminal!

It's highly likely that the designer didn't choose to leave a reflective surface without any sort of damping in the cabinet by design.

I would add some and see how it sounds!!!
    Ian
    http://www.hifisounds.co.uk

Photo bucket - loads of mods!

SL1200- DIY PSU- DIY FET int regs-Denon DL103 by Expert Stylus Company on Isokenetic stabiliser & Sumiko HS-12 shell- Achromat - Isonoe feet, Meridian 200 Phono satge, Junson JA-88D, Audio Aero Capitole CD/ DAC, extreme modified Marantz SA7001, Squeezebox Touch modded to death!, Focal 826WSE- Kimber 8TC, Kimber and CAT5 attenuated DIY Interconnects, Kimber mains

"Leave Nothing as Standard"

I'm Jerry.

The mini-monitors look well put together; a solid metal basket to the bass driver,proper crossover and thick wiring with good soldering. Just some lazy convict who couldn't be bothered to stuff in the wadding.
    Sticking some 9mm thick felt around the tweeter has helped as well.
    It's just a fun project this, I will get something better in due course.
    Jerry

I'm Josie.

Remember to make those basket screws nice and tight when you put the speaker back. So many manufacturers don't tighten the screws up enough, a great upgrade for lots.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Martin.

My pair are absolutely choc full with wadding. The amount put in probably depended on the whim of the individual stuffing them.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Jerry.

Tightened up properly Joe and a little bit of adhesive smeared around the back of the driver edge first.
    I cut the wadding to fit Martin so that each internal face except the one the drivers were mounted to has been insulated.
    Don't sound too shabby now.
    Jerry

I'm Alex.

My Mini Monitors and Gold Monitors were both improved by loosely filling the cabinets with wadding.
    Spendorman

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    My pair are absolutely choc full with wadding. The amount put in probably depended on the whim of the individual stuffing them.
    And hiding a file in there!
    Spendorman

+ Reply to Thread