+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Bruckner 8?

MartinT Guest

Agree with Tim that Wand is a great Brucknerian. Sadly I don't have his 8th. I do have the Boulez, but haven't played it in too long to be able to comment.

I'm gone.

Bruckner 8th - I have over 30 of them!

Karajan - yuk! I quite agree with you about both his recordings. In my opinion, his only decent Bruckner is the 3rd symphony - and that is superb as a performance and in sound quality.

The 8th though ...

Wand recorded live in Lubeck cathedral on RCA if you want the full reverberant cathedral experience as it must have been envisoned by Bruckner. Wand paces the performance to match the reverb in the cathedral as well - magnificent! But it does stretch over 2 CDs.

My Desert Island 8th is probably a bit 'left field' - Anton Nanut and the Ljubljana SO.
    He just nails the pacing for me - tremendous! Better than decent sq, too.

Another superb Brucknerian, but rather forgotten these days, was Lovro von Matacic. Get this if you can - wonderful!

I'm Simon.

Thanks for all these excellent recommendations; off to the (virtual) shops now!

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Over 30 Bruckner 8's Jerry, that is impressive.

I think the Wand is superb.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

MartinT Guest

Certainly the Wand 9th is superb and one of my favourite Bruckners anyway.
    Last edited by MartinT; 21-11-2012 at 22:32.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Certainly the Wand 9th is superb and one of my favourite Bruckers anyway.
    I have that too, as you say, Wand is a very fine Brucknerian.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm gone.

I saw Wand conduct at the RFH many times in my college days - he always delivered fine music making.

I'm Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Bruckner 8th - I have over 30 of them!

Karajan - yuk! I quite agree with you about both his recordings. In my opinion, his only decent Bruckner is the 3rd symphony - and that is superb as a performance and in sound quality.

The 8th though ...

Wand recorded live in Lubeck cathedral on RCA if you want the full reverberant cathedral experience as it must have been envisoned by Bruckner. Wand paces the performance to match the reverb in the cathedral as well - magnificent! But it does stretch over 2 CDs.

My Desert Island 8th is probably a bit 'left field' - Anton Nanut and the Ljubljana SO.
    He just nails the pacing for me - tremendous! Better than decent sq, too.

Another superb Brucknerian, but rather forgotten these days, was Lovro von Matacic. Get this if you can - wonderful!
    Wow, impressive collection.

My top 8th is a Furtwangler from 1949, BPO, available on Music & Arts and probably some others as well. There is a decresendo toward the end that is worth the price of admission.
    The sound is not good by modern standards, but still has great impact. In some passages the strings are nicely caught. The bass is powerful. Worth it if you can find it. It is my favorite recording of any of the Mahler/Bruckner large pieces.

After that it's the two Vienna performances, one by Karajan and the other by Guilini. I like Guilini but the sound quality on the DG LP is a bit thin and bright.

VPI / JMW arm, with Dynavector 20 (also Technics 1200mkII), Luxman 505u integrated, Marantz 8004 SACD/CD, TAD/Pioneer S-2EX speakers, GIK room treatments

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12