+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blu Ray audio Vs. Music PRs epic fail

I'm Gone.

Default Blu Ray audio Vs. Music PRs epic fail

Had an email from a PR person working for the Pure Audio group, pushing Blu Ray audio and asking basically was I aware how much better BRA is than CD, SACD, DVD-A as it true high res and would I like to review one of the newly released classic albums.... Well naturally I said OK and waited with baited breath... So to demonstrate the audio superiority of BRA they sent me the 45th anniversary remaster of the Velvet Underground White Light/White Heat. This is a disc that has been notorious for 45 years as the epitome of recorded in a garage thrash. Don't get me wrong it sounds great, full of energy, like the original vinyl, but as a way of showing the great dynamics an subtle detail of the new format Err I kinda think not.

I sent the signal out to my cassette deck and according to the PPMs on the deck it has about 5dB of dynamic range and you can hear the expected mass of distortion. As I said It's great and I'll review it but is "Yeah you can hear more grunge than the CD version", what they really want in a review?

I'm Martin.

My only experience of Blu Ray Audio is the 'Lemmy' film and my god does it sound good but I am still in the 'it's the quality of the mastering' camp rather than the number of bits or the sampling rate making a difference.

Anyway review it how you please that is the point of a review isn't it; rather than writing what the supplier wants to hear?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Gone.

Martin, I will of course review it as I want, I always do. If you read what I put you will see that my point is they sent me something that is famously badly mastered, because they wanted me to see how good the technology is, that to me is an epic fail

Sent from my iPhone

+ Reply to Thread