+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Problem Streaming Video - Puppy Linux

I'm RichardbutpreferRich.

Default Problem Streaming Video - Puppy Linux

I know there are a few experienced Linux users on here who may be able to assist

I have an oldish thin client computer which I would like to use to stream video via BBC i player and the like, as we are unable to get a freeview TV signal in our kitchen with a portable ariel.

I am a Linux virgin, but I do seem to have managed to get 'Lucid Puppy Linux' running from a USB flash drive into RAM and I have also managed to get wireless internet up and working. All appears hunky dory until i try to stream any video, as the picture is always slow and jerky. I don't think it's an internet connection speed problem as I don't get any buffering and so must assume it's a hardware or software issue. Being a thin client it only has a lowly 800mhz processor and so this could be the problem, anyway the full specs are as follows:-

Neoware Thin C90 thin client
    Processor: VIA Eden 800mhz
    RAM: 1GB
    Drive: 256MB 'Disk on Module' Compact Flash
    Operating System: Lucid Puppy Linux 5.2.8' (133MB) running in RAM from USB pendrive
    Browser: Firefox
    Flash Player: Adobe Flash 11.2

If anyone knows of a work around for this problem I would be pleased to hear

Cheers
    Rich

Source: Squeezebox Touch, Chinese AK4396 DAC, Pioneer PL-112D + Shure M75ED type2, Pioneer PD-7700 CDP
    Amp: Sansui AU-505
    Speakers: Ditton 44's

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Mothman View Post
    If anyone knows of a work around for this problem I would be pleased to hear

Cheers
    Use something man enough for the job
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

This does iPlayer http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330
    You could of course get an aerial feed fitted
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm RichardbutpreferRich.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    You could of course get an aerial feed fitted
    Nah, that would be too simple Chris

I was just trying this as an experiment to see if I can learn the basics of a linux operating system. I had the thin client kicking around doing nothing and so thought I would try to put it to good use, though I fully accept as per your suggestion that there are much better alternatives out there for video streaming
    Rich

Source: Squeezebox Touch, Chinese AK4396 DAC, Pioneer PL-112D + Shure M75ED type2, Pioneer PD-7700 CDP
    Amp: Sansui AU-505
    Speakers: Ditton 44's

+ Reply to Thread