+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FS: Technics SL120 TT

I'm Neal.

Default FS: Technics SL120 TT

I have an SL120 Direct Drive TT for sale in good nick. Comes with an SME arm mount but no arm or cart. Original manual included plus a home made heavy CLD plinth made from Norwegian ply and lead sheet. The original base and legs are also included plus the lid. The 33.3rpm adjustment pot is a little worn and either needs a squirt of contact cleaner or replacement. Asking £80 plus shipping (negotiable) or welcome to collect from the Hemel Heampstead area.

Pics to follow.

André!

I really think this could be for you.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Looking forward to seeing the pics, NRG - sounds like a bargain

I know what the SL120 is about (basically my deck without an arm) It could be a nice little project for someone...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Looking forward to seeing the pics, NRG - sounds like a bargain

I know what the SL120 is about (basically my deck without an arm) It could be a nice little project for someone...

Marco.
    Yeh right steve

Marco yours has slider pitch control, that doesn't.

I prefer the 'SL110' out of all the DJ veriety.
    Last edited by Vinyl Grinder; 16-02-2008 at 15:15.

I'm Neal.

Here are the pics: (the 309 is not included!)

Marco yours has slider pitch control, that doesn't.

I prefer the 'SL110' out of all the DJ veriety.
    LOL. What are you like? It's got the IDENTICAL direct-drive mechanism of the SL-1200/1210 and is the same in every other way, too - yes, apart from the pitch control, which if disabled (as mine always is) does diddly squat to affect the sound

Fair enough if you prefer the SL-110 - given the choice I would, too (excluding KAB mods), but the slider pitch control affects bugger all, mate. It just upsets your purist sensibilities!

On a more serious note, if NRG's deck is in good working order (and I've got no reason to think otherwise) then this is a f*cking SERIOUS bargain for someone!!!

Fit a decent arm and cartridge, get a KAB PS-1200 external PSU, sort out a proper mat, and it will trounce almost anything on the market today short of the most esoteric designs. It will certainly easily outperform the LP12s, Thorens', and Regas of this world.

Discerning listeners form a queue now...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

NRG,

Incidentally, why are you selling it? What are you using/going to buy that you think is better?

For your sake, mate, it had better be very, very good or you might in future have some sleepless nights regretting selling it!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Neal.

I'm OK with it Marco. I have too many decks! Main deck is a Lenco '99 but I also have an SP10 waiting on a new plinth and a Michell Gyrodeck SE with Orbe upgrades (also for sale!). So the poor SL120 gets no playtime these days!

I totally understand

What's your first name, incidentally?

Lencos are great, especially when properly fettled, and we all know about the SP10.

Have you ever heard how good the SL-1200, or your SL-120, sounds with a KAB external PSU (and other mods)? I can tell you that it's a phenomenal upgrade and really lifts the deck's performance into the big league.

If I didn't have my KAB-modified SL-1210 I'd snap up your SL-120 in a flash!

I'd send it to KAB in the US to be fully serviced and have the PSU fitted, and then when it comes back, get Johnnie at Audio Origami to fit one of his modified RB250s, buy a decent cartridge, fit a Sounddeadsteel Isoplatmat and also an Achromat, some Isonoe feet, and for about £1300 or so including all of the above and return shipping and taxes to KAB in the US you'd have one VERY serious turntable.

If the right people are watching I'd be very surprised if you don't sell the deck before the night is out.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm InSpace.

Ooh!.... seriously interested in this!

I'll have to do some begging with Mrs H first though

Cheers,
    Mike.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast