+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Using a Rega Carbon cartridge...

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    If I can butt in, I've had the chance to try mine in two different decks now, and find end-of-side surprisingly good for "only" an elliptical tip. To be honest, I can't hear a degradation as the side moves on, just this even handed temperament in a ballsy package..

It's an elliptical is it? The standard AT91 is conical. Can you confirm this?

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

SH*T! It is conical as far as I'm aware. Apologies for my short-mindedness... :duh:
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Rob.

So guys, how goes the Rega Carbons out there, still enjoying them?

I set up an AT91 the other day on a Thorens, it made very good sounds.

I'm Rob.

Old thread I know....

But, I ran a Rega Carbon/AT91 at Scalford this year on my Techy, alot of folks were surprised how good it was.

Rob.

I'm Nigel.

Is it more enjoyable than an AT95e, Rob?

I'm DAVID.

I heard cheap rega carbon on freefallrobs techy up against a 2m black on Inspire eclipse in same demo. It did not disgrace itself. With 5mm acrylic mat and rega 301 arm it bopped along very nicely and the loss of higher frequencies and narrower stage as claimed by some critics were certainly not apparent .Many admirers stunned by its sheer ebullience. Details were absent but it mattered little because it seemed so outright musical. Not sure how much weight it needed FFR wil add I expect.
    My audible range 20hz to 10Khz Yours?

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    Is it more enjoyable than an AT95e, Rob?
    I'm not sure about that to be honest Nigel, I haven't had an AT95e on the arm for a while, I like the 95 alot.

The Carbon sounds very 'right' and unpretentious and just lets you enjoy the music with out analysis, it has very good tonal balance.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by freefallrob View Post
    I'm not sure about that to be honest Nigel, I haven't had an AT95e on the arm for a while, I like the 95 alot.

The Carbon sounds very 'right' and unpretentious and just lets you enjoy the music with out analysis, it has very good tonal balance.
    Hi Rob and everyone,

I have been using a Carbon on a Rega RP1 with Edwards Audio TT-AP Acrylic Platter and frankly I am astonished at how good it is. Its only significant weakness to my ears is lack of HF extension but maybe that is down to capacitive loading although it should be alright as i am using it into a Brio R. Its great on vocals and well it's just fun to listen to. Who cares if its "only" got a conical stylus? Makes you wonder whether the more complex stylus shapes are worthwhile especially as an interesting video on YouTube on vinyl groove damage suggests they can do more damage to the grooves than simpler conical and elliptical shapes.

Perhaps one of HiFis few genuine bargains today? I think so!

Chris

I'm Chris.

Hi Guys,

Apologies for somewhat belated addition to this post but I have been using a Rega Carbon in my Rega RP1 for almost 2 years and only just had the opportunity to try an Audio Technica AT95e in its place. Now I am aware the AT95e has a well deserved reputation for offering one of the biggest bangs for the bucks so I was expecting great things.

Well the first thing that strikes you is a brighter frequency balance with a slightly more forward upper mid range and the expected extension to the HF from the AT95E elliptical stylus but what I wasn't expecting was a thinner tonal colour palette. The sound also had less body/solidity. Although the imaging was slightly better and soundstage a little larger there was for me something missing. It lacks a little refinement and sounded more HiFi than fun. In fact the Carbon midrange and LF were more cohesive lending vocals a more fluent and intelligible quality. One thing I have learnt with the Carbon is despite it only having a conical stylus it rewards with careful alignment and set up by reducing the HF grain it can occasionally display. The factory alignment of the Carbon in my RP1 was a little out.

I have no affiliation with Rega other than being a customer and I don't know what pixie dust Rega may have sprinkled on the Carbon but it truly is extraordinary for the money and puts a smile on my face . If a manufacturer throws enough money at a product they will probably (not always) end up with a pretty decent sound but I take my hat off to companies that can achieve this without a massive commitment of the world's scarce resources and without charging a stellar high price.

The AT95e is no doubt a great cartridge for a very reasonable price but for me the Carbon is more enjoyable and at £25.99 an out and out steal. Wholeheartedly recommended!

cheers

Chris

I'm Nuno.

How the Rega Carbon compares with the new AT VM95e?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678