+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AT33R

Default AT33R

Hi folks,

sorry for the lack of participation so far, but I've been busy away 1) setting up and enjoying my new KAB1200mk2/at33ptg and 2) sorting out a new job. So finally, the missus and I have managed to head to tokyo for a break.

Here, I've managed to find quite a good deal on the AT33R cart that I was wondering if any of you would be keen on. (not too sure whether to post this here or at the private exhibition forum) Like the AT33PTG, it's a cart that's only meant for the japanese domestic market, and not as easily found out of Japan compared to the 103s. The AT33R (i think the R stands for Reference, like the 103R) is discontinued and I guess these are the remaining stocks being retailed.

Here's a stock image of the cart (it comes with its own headshell).

since I'm in tokyo, I'm just checking if any of you were keen for me to grab one of these brand new and not used for you. It normally retails on ebay for about US$820 or more, and on audiocubes2 for US$ 899 before shipping. I've managed to find one here for 55000yen, or US$614/GBP429 according to the current rate on oanda.com.

I'm in tokyo till 10th Feb, but i'm not too sure how long this deal will go on for.
    You can either leave a note in this thread or PM me, and we can work out details if you're keen. I'm expecting postage to be about GBP20 or less via DHL (i got the quote recently for shipping the denon au-300lc step up to the UK, and the cart is in a box of similar size) and should get to you in 2-3 working days.

I'm not related to Audio technica or any japanese retailer in any way, and am just passing this savings on to any of you who would like to give this cart a go. I've already grabbed one for myself to try on my deck back home, and would gladly pick one up for any of you if you're keen. fortunately carts are really space/weight friendly, and so the missus wouldn't have a problem with me stuffing one more into my bags.

let me know!

Marco - keen to veer away from your 103s and give this a go?
    kelvin.

.my salvation.
    kab technics sl-1200mkII/AT33PTG/achromat . philips dvd963sa (modded analogue stage) as cdp . pioneer tx-410 stereo tuner
    trichord dino phono preamp + dino ncpsu . astintrew at2000+ integrated amp
    alr-jordan note 3

What if Marco liked it ??

Dave

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Then, as I'm a highly regarded audio icon people would order them in their 100s, as they have with the 103s and 1210s I've recommended

Bong,

Nice offer and I appreciate the gesture. However it looks like what you have there is a version of the AT33PTG in a fancier body shell (it looks almost identical), which I've already owned and enjoyed, but preferred the 103R, and certainly also the Pro and 'SA'.

It's a very good cartridge, though, and I'm sure someone will take you up on the offer. To help this happen I'll temporarily transfer this thread to the Blank Canvas and make it into a sticky so that everyone sees it. I may even make it into an announcement later and provide your email address for contact if that's ok with you - that way you'll get the interest of other people who aren't members of the forum.

How much is the headshell on its own? It might be worth your while grabbing a few of those for people using 103s. I'm sure you'd end up selling them no problem, and I'd even give you a dedicated space on the forum to do just that

Enjoy your holiday in Tokyo - you lucky bugger!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

hey marco,

thanks for the generous stickied space!

though I'm here till the 10th, I may not be able to run down to the electronics store every day, and I'm not too sure how long stocks will last for. I've only picked up one for myself, and got another one on hold till Tuesday, after which, it goes back into the display rack.

so what I can do is to wait a couple of days and gather the replies, and pop down to see what they have left, and if the special is still on. In the event that demand outstrips supply, I'll allocate according to the order of reply; early bird and all. for those who're interested, i guess it's easier to keep track of this by just leaving a note in this thread. once i confirm the quantity, i'll contact each one individually then.

i'm using the at33ptg right now, and i must say that i enjoy the AT's sound as much as I do the 103s, having used the 103 and 103R. I don't think it's fair to compare head on as the two sounds are quite different. So the 2-3 carts will be on rotation on my 1200, depending on the music and my mood ( BIG nod to removable headshells!) how similar or different the 33ptg is to the 33r can be a LONG discussion on its own, but I guess there's a reason that audio technica put the 33R as their top of the line reference cart, above the EV and the PTG, and I can't wait to hear it for myself, especially at about the same price as the EV!

as for the headshell, I think the one in the picture is exclusive to the 33R. however, I can pick up some of the AT-LH13/15/18 headshells if anyone wants it. I think Marco's mentioned his experience with the AT-LH18 (18g) headshell on a different thread, and I've seen that in the shops for 5850yen, about US$66, vs US$99 on audiocubes. The LH13 and 15 are a bit cheaper. If there's anyone who wants these, let me know, and I might just grab a couple of them.

finally, if anyone's looking for the denon au-300lc stepups, i can look out for them too. small items are ok, but anything bigger than the 300lc is going to get be a very bad nagging from the missus.

that's it for now then. i'll try and put up some actual pictures of the 33R shortly. just need to transfer them over from my camera.
    kelvin.

.my salvation.
    kab technics sl-1200mkII/AT33PTG/achromat . philips dvd963sa (modded analogue stage) as cdp . pioneer tx-410 stereo tuner
    alr-jordan note 3

pictures time!

the 33R unboxed from its blue box and silver 'Reference' label. the original price tag reads 64000 yen!

A closer look in the box. The sales person tossed in the actual retail tag without realising it. But with a bit of bargaining, i managed to get it down to 55000.

finally, a macro shot (my little camera's macro mode is pushed to its limits!) of the 4 terminals and the cantilever. nice and clean!

p.s. a picture of the at-lh18 headshell, so you have a point of reference.

for whomever's keen, i'm happy to send over this exact cart in the pictures, (with the retail tag if you so desire ) so you get to see exactly what you're getting.

i'll continue to post updates as i get'em!
    Last edited by bong; 31-01-2009 at 14:15.
    kelvin.

.my salvation.
    alr-jordan note 3

I'm Peter.

Kelvin,

So wierd. I almost want one, just for the craigh, I'm on weekend in Barcelona. Just looking over the thread with my iPod touch!

Good luck with your treasure hunt!
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.