Thread: Pet Hates........or FFS

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    'What's for tea tonight mam?'

'Cheese'

'What, just cheese?'

'Yes just cheese. What more do you want? This isn't The Ritz you know.'

'Bollocks then I'm off down the chippy.'
    Lol.... Your upbringing was more different to mine, than black is to white!

My mum loved experimenting with her Italian cook books, while my dad was at work and I was outside playing. Then when he came home, I was shouted in and we all sat down to lunch, which would frequently extend to two hours.

Marco.

I'm Martin.

My mother worked, mostly full time, and had elderly parents to cook and care for too. My father worked abroad a lot and even if he wasn't abroad he wouldn't get home from work until very late. My brothers and me were expected to fend for ourselves without complaint, which by and large we did.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    My mother worked, mostly full time, and had elderly parents to cook and care for too.
    I didn't know about that last bit. Respect. Caring for people is very hard and demanding. My point simply was that you're largely how you are today with food [and probably HP sauce] because of how you were brought up, as a kid. Ditto with me.

We are all 'shaped', to some extent, by our early life experiences

Marco.

I'm Martin.

Completely true.

Apart from breakfast and Sunday dinner we always ate whilst watching the telly. That's a habit I never got out of. Anytime I sit down with a meal I'm looking for the remote.

My father grew up in the Americas and was quite discerning about food, coffee and so on. Most of my 'tastes' in food are exactly the same as his. Same goes for one of my brothers but not the other which is weird. My mother grew up very poor in Liverpool, and for her cooking and eating was just another necessity that you got out of the way before moving on to the next essential task at hand.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol.... Your upbringing was more different to mine, than black is to white!

My mum loved experimenting with her Italian cook books, while my dad was at work and I was outside playing. Then when he came home, I was shouted in and we all sat down to lunch, which would frequently extend to two hours.

Marco.
    Usually had a lnch and dinner at table.. Mum worked in house etc barring when my dads office was short staffed and she would go in and do the needful, as she was a top shorthand typist in her day. was still fast in her 50's when not been doing it for years. She was pps to the head man in the aberdeen shipyard before she married.
    A good cook, but usually Scottish fare which was fine. She did expand to continental dishes once she had been abroad and did them very well
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    But children do take an irational dislike to certain foods, and you can't force them to eat it. At the age of five or so, I suddenly decided I hated cheese and wouldn't eat it. If my mother had made a big deal out of it, it might have caused problems. As it was, she just stopped giving me anything with cheese in it. I still don't like 'raw' cheese, but will happily eat meals in which cheese is an ingredient.
    Sure, but you can minimise that happening and give them the best chance of appreciating different types of food, from the earliest possible age [I'm talking months old] by introducing babies, not just children, to different flavours of REAL, rather than processed food.

My mum said that she virtually never gave me bottled/bought baby food, and instead simply purified fresh raw vegetables, made it into a pulp, and fed me that. It was a damn sight cheaper and healthier, plus it introduced me to the flavour of REAL food/veg from the earliest possible age.

Then as soon as I could digest solids, I was given different types of fresh fish, and chicken, plus rice and pasta. Red meat didn't come until later. And that's how I was brought up. What was given to me, or on the table for everyone else to eat, was what I ate.

No ridiculous separate meals from my parents, as you see nowadays, or worse, separate meals for each kid, as one doesn't like this, and other doesn't like that. Fuck that bullshit All the parents are doing is making a rod for their own backs.... And don't talk to me about kids all eating their different meals in separate parts of the house - another load of ridiculous nonsense, which they've been allowed to get away with!

No wonder the family unit, and closeness of such in most homes now, isn't anything like it used to be. *Where possible*, families should all sit and eat together at the table, the same food and at the same time.

Anyway, it's no coincidence therefore that now I can eat almost anything, and appreciate good food!

And my parents and grandparents were all brought up the same way. Quite simply, faddy/fussy eating parents, breed faddy, fussy-eating kids, as the kids take their cues, and develop their eating habits (and everything else), from YOU, so set them a good example, early on, if you want them to grow up healthily!

Marco.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Usually had a lnch and dinner at table..
    Sorry mate, what does that mean?

Mum worked in house etc barring when my dads office was short staffed and she would go in and do the needful, as she was a top shorthand typist in her day. was still fast in her 50's when not been doing it for years. She was pps to the head man in the aberdeen shipyard before she married.
    A good cook, but usually Scottish fare which was fine. She did expand to continental dishes once she had been abroad and did them very well
    Good stuff! The important thing is to be brought up on good nourishing home-cooked food [doesn't need to be fancy], and not processed muck/ready meals, as it provides your body with a healthy and nutritious foundation, which trust me, pays you dividends later in life

Marco.

I'm Grant.

typo...lunch
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Ah, gotcha

Marco.

I'm gone.

Pet hates .............. when people 'quote' the whole of a long post full of large photos, which has only just been posted, often just to make a short 1 line comment. So I have to scroll through the whole thing again just to get to their brief pearl of wisdom.

For some obscure psychological reason this drives me absolutely batty.

OK, got it off my chest and I'm feeling better now.

+ Reply to Thread