+ Reply to Thread
Page 508 of 540 FirstFirst ... 8408458498506507508509510518 ... LastLast
Results 5,071 to 5,080 of 5394

Thread: Pet Hates........or FFS

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Or you could argue that preferring to buy niche premium brands is a result of 'Don't follow the herd' style marketing....
    Possibly, but that certainly doesn't apply to us. We only buy 'premium niche brands' *if* to us they're worth it, i.e. taste better. For us, that's always the only consideration.

Big name brands become big name brands because they sell well, not the other way around.
    Yes, because they spend millions of pounds on marketing and advertising!

...to get inside your head and MAKE you want to buy them. The process happens subliminally.

Marco.

P.S You didn't answer my earlier post. This one: https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...30#post1118630

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Possibly, but that certainly doesn't apply to us. We only buy 'premium niche brands' *if* to us they're worth it, i.e. taste better. For us, that's always the only consideration.

Yes, because they spend millions of pounds on marketing and advertising!

...to get inside your head and MAKE you want to buy them. It happens subliminally.

Marco.

P.S You didn't answer my earlier post. This one: https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...30#post1118630
    Pretty much all big brands started out as very small brands. E.g Coca Cola, McDonalds, KFC, Heinz, Kellog . They got to be big brands with shedloads to spend on marketing because they were good sellers from the off.

yes marketing is subliminal but that also applies to marketing for niche brands. There's only two types of people, those who think marketing does not affect them and those who realise it affects everyone.

In answer to your question in earlier post - people like what they are used to - especially with taste of food. That's why chains like McDonalds go to efforts to ensure the product tastes the same no matter where in the world you are buying it. It's impossible to quantify 'better' in that regard. There are plenty of burgers that are 'better' than maccy -D but people want what they are used to. So in a foreign place they'll go to Mcdonalds rather than take a chance at 'Joe's Burgers' or whatever.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

yes marketing is subliminal but that also applies to marketing for niche brands. There's only two types of people, those who think marketing does not affect them and those who realise it affects everyone.
    Of course it affects everyone. I'm not denying that, although I don't allow it to control me. I'm simply saying that if you're addicted to big-name brands, and automatically reach for those every time you go shopping, then it might not be just because you like the taste!

In answer to your question in earlier post - people like what they are used to - especially with taste of food. That's why chains like McDonalds go to efforts to ensure the product tastes the same no matter where in the world you are buying it.
    Well that's fine, but that doesn't necessarily apply to everyone.I don't *just* like what I'm used to.

I like to experiment and widen my horizons, not just with food, but in all aspects of life. Even when I'm going out for a Chinese meal or a curry, I don't know which dishes I'm going to order until I get there! If I behaved as you've outlined as 'the norm' (people like what they're used to), I'd already know what I wanted even before I looked at the menu!

And yes I know plenty of folk like that..... And my shopping habits are the same as the above. Out with of essentials, I don't really know what I'm going to buy until I get to the shop. And when there, I don't automatically reach for big-name brands. I study the labels and the prices of the products, and based upon that, make an informed decision. Very little is a 'done deal' before I get there.

Anyway, you still haven't answered my question. What would you do in the scenario I presented? Stubbornly stick to HP, just because "that's what you're used to", or next time buy the sauce you preferred the taste of?

Marco.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Of course it affects everyone. I'm not denying that, although I don't allow it to control me. I'm simply saying that if you're addicted to big-name brands, and automatically reach for those every time you go shopping, then it might not be just because you like the taste!

Well that's fine, but that doesn't necessarily apply to everyone.I don't *just* like what I'm used to.

I like to experiment and widen my horizons, not just with food, but in all aspects of life. Even when I'm going out for a Chinese meal or a curry, I don't know which dishes I'm going to order until I get there! If I behaved as you've outlined as 'the norm' (people like what they're used to), I'd already know what I wanted even before I looked at the menu!

And yes I know plenty of folk like that..... And my shopping habits are the same as the above. Out with of essentials, I don't really know what I'm going to buy until I get to the shop. And when there, I don't automatically reach for big-name brands. I study the labels and the prices of the products, and based upon that, make an informed decision. Very little is a 'done deal' before I get there.

Anyway, you still haven't answered my question. What would you do in the scenario I presented? Stubbornly stick to HP, just because "that's what you're used to", or next time buy the sauce you preferred the taste of?

Marco.
    I usually know what I'm having before I get in the restaurant, yes. Don't tend to go to places that don't do the things I like.

You have a thing about food, I don't really. I appreciate quality but otherwise I go along with Ricky Roma. It's just the shit we put in us to keep us going.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

I dont mind trying new things, but prefer to try them at home in case its awful... looks bad puking in a restaraunt.. I always had limited likes as a child and even as an adult... I try to be better now, but old favs are, well favs and you shouldnt muck about with your diet
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I don't think I've ever eaten anything that has made me puke.

Actually that's not true - I did make something that caused me to throw up about an hour after I had eaten it. My mother had gone to spend a few days with a friend of hers, so Dad and I were left to fend for ourselves. I decided to make a shepherds pie for dinner. I took some onions from the vegetable rack and did the cooking. At the time I though the onions to be much smaller than usual and were surprised they were in a brown paper bag, but didn't give it much thought.

The pie tasted a little odd, but we eat it all the same. About an hour later my father said "I've just been sick, are you OK?", to which I replied "Yes, I 've been sick as well". We decided to keep quiet about it so as not to alarm Mum. However when she returned, a day later she said "Where are those tulip bulbs I put in the vegetable rack? I want to plant them out." That explained everything!
    Barry

I'm Grant.

poisonous those/ was a bit silly of her to put them there mind(even tho she knew what they were) .. it was an accident waiting to happen.lol Fortunate you were not hospitalised.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Sounds like the sort of thing I'd do.

I went to an Indian buffet once and was sick a couple of hours after that. Although my pal I went with ate about ten times as much as me and was fine. I guess he just didn't have whatever I had.
    Current Lash Up:

I usually know what I'm having before I get in the restaurant, yes. Don't tend to go to places that don't do the things I like.

You have a thing about food, I don't really. I appreciate quality but otherwise I go along with Ricky Roma. It's just the shit we put in us to keep us going.
    Fair enough, me and pretty much every other Italian or Frenchman, etc. That's what separates most Brits from most continentals. We don't just see food as sustenance

You still haven't answered my question. Now you know why unanswered questions are a bugbear of mine

Let's have one last go.... Yes, I'm persistent!

What would you do in the scenario I presented? Stubbornly stick to HP, just because "that's what you're used to", or next time buy the sauce you preferred the taste of?

Marco.

I'm Grant.

some folks guts are different to others in what they can process... if your system thinks its not right it will try and get rid of it
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread