+ Reply to Thread
Page 496 of 540 FirstFirst ... 396446486494495496497498506 ... LastLast
Results 4,951 to 4,960 of 5394

Thread: Pet Hates........or FFS

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    Surely you can start walking in the right direction though by recalling assault weapons and reduce it to smaller weapons with limited clips for close protection. Far from ideal but a start.

To be open( or concealed) carrying for a trip to the diner is just crazy. If you live by the gun you will die by it. If someone is determined to take something from you they will with a bigger weapon and more surprise. If someone breaks in with an M16 you had better be ready for the mother of all firefights...a pistol aint going to cut it.

The point Im making there is that is a runaway market that leads to people buying ever more crazy weapons

Every ****er seems to be a "hunter" over there...what are thay all eating...Bear? It is actually a wonder there arent mass shootings every day.

As I said before a loaded gun doesnt set you free.
    You can't just recall the 'assault weapons' because the people who own them don't want to give them up and if you try to make them, well, they've got assault weapons and it would all get very messy. Also the history of these massacres shows that you can kill just as many people with handguns. There's no advantage to using an automatic rifle if your targets are just people in a school or a bar or shopping centre.

So you need to recall all the handguns as well. Like I said it is just not possible.

If you're going to have a shoot-out with the cops that's a different matter but that rarely happens. Usually they top themselves when or before any armed response arrives.

If more people were allowed to carry concealed weapons that would be the best available antidote. You're doing a bit of shopping with the mrs in the local mall, a nutter appears and starts shooting, then you can shoot back and solve the problem. But most States make it very difficult or impossible to get a concealed carry permit and otherwise law-abiding people don't want to risk prison if they get caught carrying without a permit. And they don't want to increase concealed carry because the anti-gun lobby see that as a backwards step.

Looking at the logic of the argument roughly 100 people are killed every day in the US by vehicle related incidents and I don't see anyone suggesting we recall all motor vehicles. And don't give me this 'but they're essential!' business. Mankind got along fine without them for several hundred thousand years.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alan.

+1 to all that Martin.
    It's now a problem without a solution.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    +1 to all that Martin.
    It's now a problem without a solution.
    There is a kind of solution.

Stop the sale and manufacture of ammunition. It may not completely end all gun related issues, but it will severely disrupt the use of firearms.

I'm Adam.

The whole gun ownership thing in the US has always struck me as having parallels to Groucho Marx’s assertion that he wouldn’t want to be a member of a club that would have him.

In other words, the people who actively want to own a gun are probably the sort of people who shouldn’t be allowed to!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Martin.

No you are all beginning to sound like the NRA. Theres a solution to most problems if you are willing to do it. Im saying stop walking blindly in the wrong direction and start walking in the right direction. It isnt going to be solved overnight but Im sure the guns could be taken off a lot of the nutters. I would lessen the risk

The addresses are on file and they would have to give them up under new laws

How the hell is it a constitutional right to own a gun? How are some people prohibited and nutters able to stock up for WWIII? Its still like the wild west over there

Tis a crazy continent and they will all cry horror again when the next mass shooting occurs
    " Did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"

'I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, sir' said Alice, 'because I'm not myself, you see.'.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    There is a kind of solution.

Stop the sale and manufacture of ammunition. It may not completely end all gun related issues, but it will severely disrupt the use of firearms.
    A lot of them make their own ammunition, they already thought of that. Plus you'd just create a black market in ammunition, organised crime would be rubbing their hands.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    No you are all beginning to sound like the NRA. Theres a solution to most problems if you are willing to do it. Im saying stop walking blindly in the wrong direction and start walking in the right direction. It isnt going to be solved overnight but Im sure the guns could be taken off a lot of the nutters. I would lessen the risk

The addresses are on file and they would have to give them up under new laws

How the hell is it a constitutional right to own a gun? How are some people prohibited and nutters able to stock up for WWIII? Its still like the wild west over there

Tis a crazy continent and they will all cry horror again when the next mass shooting occurs
    It's a constitutional right because it is right there in the constitution. There's not really any getting away from it. And they already have restrictions on nutters buying weapons, but it doesn't work if the person is not a known nutter when he buys a firearm but then goes nuts later. Which is usually what happens. It's an intractable problem, which is why it just goes on and on. Smarter people than us have tried to come up with solutions and failed. If it was really as simple as change the constitution, confiscate all the weapons (340 million of them) and stop selling any more don't you think that would already have happened?
    Current Lash Up:

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    A lot of them make their own ammunition, they already thought of that. Plus you'd just create a black market in ammunition, organised crime would be rubbing their hands.
    True.

I'm Mark.

Smarter people than us have failed to come up with a solution because even smarter people with much political influence and money invested don’t want a solution.

I'm Martin.

Its not better brains we are talking about. Its the brick wall of reluctance to change.

Im being treated as silly and naive here. I know its written in the constitution and I know there are more guns in circulation than the population.

People in politics are usually thick as a brick. What they have is an arrogance and beligerance on a power trip. Reducing and then banning guns is the way to go. Until that happens mass shootings in particular will continue to happen.

Humans will always get angry and its more crowded than ever...best to remove a form of easy, mass killing...dont you agree?. I will accept starting to change and I know its a long process of sorting the mess out . If you look more deeply its part of the divide and rule culture...again a loaded gun does not actually set you free!

Im getting desentitised to be honest. If they wont sort it, why should I be bothered about another news broadcast. I think I mention it here because Im getting pissed off with another cycle of faux concern from the people that should be doing something about it
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 11-08-2019 at 04:16.
    " Did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"

'I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, sir' said Alice, 'because I'm not myself, you see.'.

+ Reply to Thread