+ Reply to Thread
Page 348 of 540 FirstFirst ... 248298338346347348349350358398448 ... LastLast
Results 3,471 to 3,480 of 5394

Thread: Pet Hates........or FFS

I'm Steve.

Kids these days seem incapable of making their own entertainment - all their toys seem designed to keep them indoors. The only way to get them out of the house is to fork out for after school clubs, for football, swimming or whatever. And the adults often have some involvement, including picking up and dropping off, and it's not enough for the little tykes to do this stuff, the parents have to stay and watch.

We always did our own thing as kids. Building dams, fishing, nicking apples, building rope swings, climbing trees, in fact climbing anything that had a bit of height to it. Digging holes and tunnels for no other reason but to see how deep we could go. Bad one that, my eleven year old friend died when one of these tunnels collapsed.

And we had an arsenal of weapons that would horrify most parents today. GAT pistols, Milbro catapults, throwing arrows, arrows which had knife blades tied to the ends and shot from catapults, Cack-sticks (blob of wet clay stuck on the end of a bamboo cane, which could be slingshot for miles, not very accurate but hurt like buggery if one hit you). And netting staples fired from elastic bands. Got one of them in the back of my head once-made my eyes water a bit.

And fires. lots of fires. I once set fire to an entire hillside and the Fire Brigade had to come and put it out. I got a right pasting for that one.

All this stuff looks a bit feral and probably was, but I think I turned out quite normal.

Of course these things were largely possible because where we lived was semi-rural. I feel sorry for kids growing up in towns and cities, I don't know what the answer is there.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Russell.

Spare the rod and spoil the child. The government got in between the children and their parents, you can’t discipline a child without fear that Social Services won’t be knocking on your door! Children cannot be reasoned with, they do not possess the self control to do as they should, or make sound decisions, and fear of a good ass whipping is the only thing that can make them think twice. They turned out some decent human beings in our day, but now a young man doesn’t get his way and goes into a crying tantrum? Is there any mystery how he got this way?

Russell

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Kids these days seem incapable of making their own entertainment - all their toys seem designed to keep them indoors. The only way to get them out of the house is to fork out for after school clubs, for football, swimming or whatever. And the adults often have some involvement, including picking up and dropping off, and it's not enough for the little tykes to do this stuff, the parents have to stay and watch.

We always did our own thing as kids. Building dams, fishing, nicking apples, building rope swings, climbing trees, in fact climbing anything that had a bit of height to it. Digging holes and tunnels for no other reason but to see how deep we could go. Bad one that, my eleven year old friend died when one of these tunnels collapsed.

And we had an arsenal of weapons that would horrify most parents today. GAT pistols, Milbro catapults, throwing arrows, arrows which had knife blades tied to the ends and shot from catapults, Cack-sticks (blob of wet clay stuck on the end of a bamboo cane, which could be slingshot for miles, not very accurate but hurt like buggery if one hit you). And netting staples fired from elastic bands. Got one of them in the back of my head once-made my eyes water a bit.

And fires. lots of fires. I once set fire to an entire hillside and the Fire Brigade had to come and put it out. I got a right pasting for that one.

All this stuff looks a bit feral and probably was, but I think I turned out quite normal.

Of course these things were largely possible because where we lived was semi-rural. I feel sorry for kids growing up in towns and cities, I don't know what the answer is there.
    Yes we were much tougher than the modern child! We spent our entire days outdoors, rain, snow or shine!

Russ

I'm Grant.

no doubt kids are not as toughened as they were, due to over coddling. but that is what most seem to want so can only see where it leads us. much depends on the type of parent, and how much they are prepared to put in to it.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

It's funny how some are like that. Not in my family though, my daughter and her daughters sort their stuff out well enough, are pretty tough and take no nonsense from others. They're all pretty well adjusted, unlike me!

I'm Mark.

I live in a completely different world now compared to my childhood. Before - small community, everyone knew everyone and anyone could tell you off, teachers and policeman evident and largely respected, heavy influence of church/chapel, plenty of jobs ( degree education limited to middle and upper classes), almost no cars on the roads - we used to play cricket in the street. Now - high level of anonymity, everyone thinks they can get away with bad behaviour, little respect for the law, lots of unemployment and poor job security, Internet paedos, churches virtually empty, congested streets full of parked cars and turbo-charged maniacs weaving in between them. OK I'm laying it on a bit thick but now it is more important than ever that parents and adults in general step up to the mark.

I'm Martin.

I agree the world has changed and it is all the more of a shock because it stayed the same for such a long time. I recall the Silver Jubilee in '78, we had a party in the church hall, boys in their school shorts and blazers and girls in their Holy Communion dresses. A photo was taken. On the wall was a picture taken of the party held in the same church hall for Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897.

The girls and boys in the picture were dressed identically to us, the interior of the church hall, as much as could be made out from the photo, had not changed in any detail. Indeed very little had changed outside, the same shops and houses looking identical. About the only noticeable difference would be all the cars on the street.

But from about 1980 the world started to change radically, until here we are in 2018 living in 'The Future'. And it sucks pretty badly compared to the world that had existed almost in stasis for the previous hundred years.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I agree the world has changed and it is all the more of a shock because it stayed the same for such a long time. I recall the Silver Jubilee in '78, we had a party in the church hall, boys in their school shorts and blazers and girls in their Holy Communion dresses. A photo was taken. On the wall was a picture taken of the party held in the same church hall for Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897.

The girls and boys in the picture were dressed identically to us, the interior of the church hall, as much as could be made out from the photo, had not changed in any detail. Indeed very little had changed outside, the same shops and houses looking identical. About the only noticeable difference would be all the cars on the street.

But from about 1980 the world started to change radically, until here we are in 2018 living in 'The Future'. And it sucks pretty badly compared to the world that had existed almost in stasis for the previous hundred years.
    blame the tories
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Thatcher was merely one of the symptoms rather than the cause. Not entirely sure what the cause was.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Tony.

What’s the great mystery? We live in the world we helped create. Why are we always looking to blame someone or something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

+ Reply to Thread