+ Reply to Thread
Page 301 of 540 FirstFirst ... 201251291299300301302303311351401 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,010 of 5394

Thread: Pet Hates........or FFS

I'm Geoff.

I have no issues with using ebay. Made another rather nice purchase today and expect to make a couple more this week and hopefully sell some bits.

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    This is what I do, go maybe 10% over what I would want to pay as a max bid, set it up in sniping software, then forget about it. The software bids 3 seconds before the listing ends.

I always forget to bid otherwise, so prefer to do this, even if it annoys people. So many use sniping software, if you can’t beat them join them.

Early bids draw too much attention to listings and inflate prices.
    If everyone is putting a max sniping bid in as above then doesn't it mean that a whole bunch of bids is going in at the death, as it were. So wouldn't putting your max in a few hours earlier be just as effective - maybe even better.
    I ask partly because I can't be bothered researching sniping and I'm not sure if I can get the software anyway for my iPad.
    (Excuse my ignorance, I worked in IT for many years and am now busy putting as much distance between me and computers as possible!)

I'm Geoff.

No. If you bid early you indicate that bids are in. The total bid so far may not be shown though.

I'm happy to do my own sniping with a last moment bid rather than use an automatic online one. There's no way of anticipating if auto snipers may be used, but I'd bet many items get sold without snipes. If you've decided on your max bid, it matters little, because if you are outbid, it sold for more than you were prepared to pay. There's the odd chance that somebody may bid or snipe the exact amount you have. Presumably in that case the first one wins.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Co View Post
    If everyone is putting a max sniping bid in as above then doesn't it mean that a whole bunch of bids is going in at the death, as it were. So wouldn't putting your max in a few hours earlier be just as effective - maybe even better.
    I ask partly because I can't be bothered researching sniping and I'm not sure if I can get the software anyway for my iPad.
    (Excuse my ignorance, I worked in IT for many years and am now busy putting as much distance between me and computers as possible!)
    Not everyone uses sniping software, and those that do may not have set their maximum bid high enough.

If you put your maximum bid a few hours earlier, later bidders can still outbid you because they can be told to re-bid by ebay all the while your maximum is the higher. Eventually their bid would, if they were determined, exceed you maximum and could become the winning bid.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

I never used sniping software, prefer to pull the trigger myself

I think I only lost out once and that was because the bid against me was more than I would pay. If I'd lost more often I wouldn't have about 20 cd players in the house.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Neil.

Default Pet Hates........or FFS

For me the bad side of eBay is around bidding wars, for the buyers, which bring in a lot of opportunistic sellers who expect a buy it now price that’s similar to the bidding war items’ selling prices.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Geoff.

I'm not certain I understand that.

I'm Grant.

in bidding wars things often can sell for more than there real value. folk get carried away, while in cold light of a straight price, most would balk at such a price.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Early bids draw too much attention to listings and inflate prices.
    On the other hand, I’ve been involved in more than a few auctions where the item has mysteriously disappeared following a lack of bids - the latest one was only a few days ago and the seller is ignoring my “where is it?” questions. I even had someone who ended the auction halfway through and disposed of the item because “no one wanted it”. I bloody did and was going to put in a late bid!

As a result, I often put in a bid of the starting price but no more right near the beginning, just to register interest in something, before putting my real bid in at the end.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    I’ve been involved in more than a few auctions where the item has mysteriously disappeared
    Yes. I've seen that a few times. Probably sold elsewhere, so pulled.

+ Reply to Thread