+ Reply to Thread
Page 269 of 540 FirstFirst ... 169219259267268269270271279319369 ... LastLast
Results 2,681 to 2,690 of 5394

Thread: Pet Hates........or FFS

I'm Geoff.

Does light accelerate when entering a black hole, thereby exceeding the speed of light?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

So what are your thoughts on 'dark energy'? Or do you need to change your overalls to consider the matter?
    Barry

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Does light accelerate when entering a black hole, thereby exceeding the speed of light?
    According to Einstein, who wasn’t always right, but was right about most things, the speed of light is a constant, no matter your position it always seems to be moving at the same speed. A lot of strange things go on in and around a black hole, but nothing needs to be exotic for it to work.

Recall Einstein’s experiment where he predicted the bending of light coming from stars that would be passing behind the sun during an eclipse, he predicted the gravity of the sun would bend the beam of light from these stars, and he was dead on. So increase the gravity until the beam of light is deflected 180 degrees, and it keeps falling back into the object. Does it speed up? It doesn’t have to for this to work. The speed limit of the universe isn’t a property of light itself, it’s just that point where time and space reach a zero, as I was saying, at the speed of light time stops, so there is no time for it to go faster, unless time went backward. And if time went backward, then it wouldn’t fall into the hole!

Russell

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    So what are your thoughts on 'dark energy'? Or do you need to change your overalls to consider the matter?
    A good question Berry, honestly I haven’t given it a great deal of thought. Scientist think it is what is driving the expansion of the universe. The actual fabric of the universe is stretching, and it’s not slowing down. This is certainly happening, if they want to call it dark energy, as good a name as any I guess? Once again the word dark means they have no idea what it is.

An analogy I think of often is, “Does a fish know he’s wet?”. We’ve always thought of space as nothing, an empty vacuum. But it is the ocean we are floating in, whether it’s an ocean of sub atomic partials that have not assembled into atoms? Or just energy, a mass of gravitational forces, magnetic fields, exactly what it is remains a mystery. But the facts speak to the idea that is it something. Are we like fish deep in the ocean? Unaware that we are wet? Proof in the recent experiments where they measured the gravitational waves from two colliding black holes, from a billion light years away. If the waves got from there to here, they must have been rippling in something? Or so it would seem to me.

Russell

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The concept of 'empty space' is meaningless. You can't measure distance without using something to measure it with. That something is light, and if there is light the empty space is no longer empty. Furthermore, conjugate pairs of particles can come into existence and disappear again provided their fleeting existence is short enough. Also space (or rather space time) is granular on a small scale (10-35m and 3.10-45s), so space is not the simple empty nothingness that it might appear.
    Barry

I'm Russell.

The concept of 'empty space' is meaningless. You can't measure distance without using something to measure it with. That something is light, and if there is light the empty space is no longer empty. Furthermore, conjugate pairs of particles can come into existence and disappear again provided their fleeting existence is short enough. Also space (or rather space time) is granular on a small scale (10-35m and 3.10-45s), so space is not the simple empty nothingness that it might appear.
    Thank you Barry! Someone who knows what I’m talking about. I’ve had that same thought about light. If you are at any point in the universe, no matter what direction you look you will see light, photons are moving through every square mm of space.

Russell

I'm Steve.

+1

Wot 'e said.

I'm Steve.

I tested this theory in my garden shed this morning.

The results were inconclusive.

I think I may need a bigger shed.

I'm Geoff.

I used a cardboard box. Not sure what happened, but I can hear all the neighbours screaming!
    Last edited by walpurgis; 04-02-2018 at 11:57.

I'm Grant.

your right.. i looked in my wallet and initially it looked empty, but on closer inspection there was a bit of fluff
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread